The Student Room Group

Am I passionate enough to do a maths degree?

So I’ve been debating about what course to apply for, for uni for a while, and I think I’ve decided on a maths degree on the basis that I quite like maths, and I’m also interested in physics but more the theoretical side so if I decide I want to go into that, I can easily do that as a masters, and also maths gives me a lot of options. I’ve always enjoyed maths and liked problem - solving but recently I’ve met a lot of people who want to do maths too and they all seemed a lot more passionate about it than me? I’ve done courses and read books and watched some videos outside of a-levels, but I don’t feel like I have the same ‘drive’ I suppose as they do, I feel like I used to when I was doing GCSEs a little more, but maybe it was just because it was really easy. I do find the a level relatively easy too though, but also consequently quite boring so maybe that’s the issue. It’s just I’m looking at applying to Cambridge and compared to other people also applying there I feel quite inadequate, and that they have done more maths and are a lot better at it, if anyone has any advice on the matter that would be appreciated, thanks
Reply 1
At university level, Maths and Physics are very similar in that Physics is largely just applied maths. If you're at all bored of maths, Cambridge might not be suitable since its undergraduate maths course is perhaps the most intense in the world. At the same time, don't compare yourself to the people around you. Everyone expresses passion in different ways, and you've just got to do what feels right to you.
Original post by Riann246
At university level, Maths and Physics are very similar in that Physics is largely just applied maths.

Original post by Random11_206
I’m also interested in physics but more the theoretical side so if I decide I want to go into that, I can easily do that as a masters

These seem to suggest that doing maths at uni allows and prepares you for an "easy" transition into physics. That's far from the truth - unless you have done a very substantial amount of physics modules during your degree, there is very little chance one can cope with physics masters after undergrad in maths.
Original post by Random11_206
So I’ve been debating about what course to apply for, for uni for a while, and I think I’ve decided on a maths degree on the basis that I quite like maths, and I’m also interested in physics but more the theoretical side so if I decide I want to go into that, I can easily do that as a masters, and also maths gives me a lot of options. I’ve always enjoyed maths and liked problem - solving but recently I’ve met a lot of people who want to do maths too and they all seemed a lot more passionate about it than me? I’ve done courses and read books and watched some videos outside of a-levels, but I don’t feel like I have the same ‘drive’ I suppose as they do, I feel like I used to when I was doing GCSEs a little more, but maybe it was just because it was really easy. I do find the a level relatively easy too though, but also consequently quite boring so maybe that’s the issue. It’s just I’m looking at applying to Cambridge and compared to other people also applying there I feel quite inadequate, and that they have done more maths and are a lot better at it, if anyone has any advice on the matter that would be appreciated, thanks

Since you quite like maths, you are definitely passionate enough to do a maths degree. Your personal statement might not be as impressive as other applicants, but you could still get into Cambridge if you are good at other factors of the application. If you find the a level easy, you might want to look at extracurriculars such as the Senior Maths Challenge.

If you want to learn both maths and physics at uni, Lancaster offers a Theoretical Physics with Mathematics degree.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest