The Student Room Group

Leeds Dentistry 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gabbyu
I am thinking of leeds, liverpool, kcl and dundee. Do you know if these compare graduates to graduates or graduates to undergraduates?

All the best to you! :smile: I think they compare graduates vs graduates. What ucat score did you get?
Reply 21
Original post by Greekdentist
All the best to you! :smile: I think they compare graduates vs graduates. What ucat score did you get?

Thank you, all the best to you as well. I haven't done it yet, it's coming up on the 16th. How did yours go?
Original post by gabbyu
Thank you, all the best to you as well. I haven't done it yet, it's coming up on the 16th. How did yours go?

All the best!! :smile: I did mine a week ago and got 2520 band 2 sjt. :redface:
Reply 23
Original post by Greekdentist
All the best!! :smile: I did mine a week ago and got 2520 band 2 sjt. :redface:

Thank you and well done to you
hi i'm also a graduate im considering applying to leeds, uclan, abeerden, kcl! not sure how both leeds and uclan will use ucat this year anyone have any ideas? ive not sat my ucat yet but i'm sending good vibes to everyone sitting this year! also does anyone know the leeds graduate entry requirements?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 25
Does anyone know if Leeds only looks at GCSE maths and current degree attainted for graduate applicants to dentistry?
Original post by Emma0101
Does anyone know if Leeds only looks at GCSE maths and current degree attainted for graduate applicants to dentistry?

the website says “applications from graduates. To apply you’ll need a 2:1 or higher in a relevant science or healthcare subject plus GCSE maths at grade 4 or C.”
Reply 27
Hoping ucat won’t be too high this year for leeds, thinking of applying with 2800 band 2 as a graduate
Reply 28
Original post by dami1405
Hoping ucat won’t be too high this year for leeds, thinking of applying with 2800 band 2 as a graduate

I’m not a graduate. But I went to the openday and they said they’re not sure how they’ll deal with UCAT as it’s their first year. However, I got the impression, and maybe others who went feel differently, that they’re more interested in other aspects combined with UCAT. So won’t just look at UCAT in isolation. But, I also got the impression that they’re anticipating a huge increase in applications which of course reduces the chance of an interview compared to previous years.
Reply 29
Do you think that leeds will hold an immediate rejection for band 4 SJT people? I got 2780 band 4 so seeing as there is no mention of an immediate rejection would it happen?
Reply 30
Original post by dog0123
Do you think that leeds will hold an immediate rejection for band 4 SJT people? I got 2780 band 4 so seeing as there is no mention of an immediate rejection would it happen?

They used to use BMAT with GCSE which didn’t really have an equivalent to SJT. Implication being in the past they looked more at knowledge based evidence than skill based/lucky guessing. They didn’t commit to anything at the open day regarding UCAT. They said they didn’t know. I know people who have emailed since and got the same response. If they’re still unsure I’d guess, and this is just a guess, so might be totally wrong, they’re looking more for other things in the application - along side the UCAT score, like GCSEs and work experience. Leeds is a risk this year for everyone bc it’s not got a history of UCAT to look at. Particularly a risk for those with high UCAT scores though because they’re guaranteed interviews elsewhere. But if ave/lower UCAT and strong elsewhere probably worth the risk. It’s hard deciding - Good luck!
Original post by dog0123

Is hard to say because they havent disclosed anything on their website how they will use the ucat and if they will factor sjt in their score.
Avoid sheffield, liverpool, mancherster, Queen marys, kings they automatically reject anyone with sjt band 4.
Original post by dog0123

yeah this is hard without knowing what they’d do with sjt but i know leeds are very holistic and from i looked at their freedom of information for this year/2024 entry when someone asked how ucat is being used they said

“Academic, professional qualifications and UCAT scores are given values, totalled and then applicants are ranked and invited to interview on this basis. Personal statements are reviewed and scored using a strict marking criterion, they are used to differentiate between applicants scoring equally. The scores are viewed in combination with the applicants' overall academic achievements against the rest of the cohort applying that year, therefore there is no specific score required.”

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/dentistry_2024_entry#incoming-2429438

i’m not sure if you’re ug or grad but as long as you meet the academic requirements your ucat shouldn’t play too much of an influence. seeing as it’s the first year too, when i first applied to leeds i had an awful bmat score and still got an offer so don’t let one part of the assessment play you up IF you don’t have information on it applt and see what happens. if they reject you based off of sjt then least you know why but if you dont apply and they don’t look at sjt then you’ve missed an opportunity. hopefully they release more info about how they use ucat specifically but i doubt they will until 2025 entry that’s my advice apply and pray 🤣

in terms of ucat i can assume they’re using a scoring system so maybe look at how other dental schools use ucat as a scoring system if you’re a grad like me haha well you’re already met the requirements else you wouldn’t apply so ucat won’t play too strong into it i’m gonna look at how grads were scored
(edited 7 months ago)
since i’m a grad i’ve only looked for stuff of tus i’ve had a look at the freedom of info 7/178 ppl who applied for offers it doesn’t say how many got interviews they don’t differentiate at interview but in 2021 it looks like a 1 in 5 chance of getting an interview.

also with how they used bmat (which is how i assume they’ll use ucat) is a scoring system out of 5 so the top 20% get a 5/5 score top 21-40% get 4/5
https://www.uniadmissions.co.uk/bmat/guides/leeds-bmat-cut-off/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CYour%20application%20is%20assessed%20against,also%20be%20taken%20into%20account.%E2%80%9D

read this i assume they’ll use the same breakdown for ucat although i don’t know how grads are ranked since you gotta have a c and a 2:1 to apply so anything above it isn’t see as better but following the article ucat and academics were takwn into account the the top 1000 or however many it was were then taken into personal statements and top 50% were interviewed. so basically smash out your personal statement on the leeds website and other website it says what they’re looking for and how it’s scored so wtv happens don’t give up over ucat irs just one test
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 34
Original post by applesandalevels
yeah this is hard without knowing what they’d do with sjt but i know leeds are very holistic and from i looked at their freedom of information for this year/2024 entry when someone asked how ucat is being used they said

“Academic, professional qualifications and UCAT scores are given values, totalled and then applicants are ranked and invited to interview on this basis. Personal statements are reviewed and scored using a strict marking criterion, they are used to differentiate between applicants scoring equally. The scores are viewed in combination with the applicants' overall academic achievements against the rest of the cohort applying that year, therefore there is no specific score required.”

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/dentistry_2024_entry#incoming-2429438

i’m not sure if you’re ug or grad but as long as you meet the academic requirements your ucat shouldn’t play too much of an influence. seeing as it’s the first year too, when i first applied to leeds i had an awful bmat score and still got an offer so don’t let one part of the assessment play you up IF you don’t have information on it applt and see what happens. if they reject you based off of sjt then least you know why but if you dont apply and they don’t look at sjt then you’ve missed an opportunity. hopefully they release more info about how they use ucat specifically but i doubt they will until 2025 entry that’s my advice apply and pray 🤣

in terms of ucat i can assume they’re using a scoring system so maybe look at how other dental schools use ucat as a scoring system if you’re a grad like me haha well you’re already met the requirements else you wouldn’t apply so ucat won’t play too strong into it i’m gonna look at how grads were scored

What professional qualifications will people have?
Original post by Jetjo123
What professional qualifications will people have?

well if you’re undergrad you’ll have gcse
they’ll look at your predicted a levels

if you’re graduate you’ll have all of those but they only want a C /4 in maths
then at least a 2:1 in bsc(hons) i also have a msc (and anyone who has phd) but they probs won’t take that into account since i’ve met the grad requirements but it’s smth i’ve mentioned in my personal statement
Reply 36
Original post by applesandalevels
well if you’re undergrad you’ll have gcse
they’ll look at your predicted a levels

if you’re graduate you’ll have all of those but they only want a C /4 in maths
then at least a 2:1 in bsc(hons) i also have a msc (and anyone who has phd) but they probs won’t take that into account since i’ve met the grad requirements but it’s smth i’ve mentioned in my personal statement

Oh I see. Thanks. I read academic and professional so thought there must be some extra qualifications required.
Hi guys

I got
AAA In maths Bio chem a levels
Biomedical studies prediction of 1st
Ucat : 2660 band 2

Where'd be good to apply for graduate dentistry?
Reply 38
hi,
do i have a possible chance with a 2700 ucat band 1 and 9999888877 for gcses?
predicted 3 A*s :smile:
contextual
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 39
Original post by choco1234
hi,
do i have a possible chance with a 2700 ucat band 1 and 9999888877 for gcses?
contextual

They said at openday they’re not sure what they’ll do about UCAT and I know people including myself who recently e-mailed to ask and got the same response. So anyone applying to Leeds this year is taking a risk. Bc it’s an unknown. But mainly it’s a risk for those with 2800 plus as they’d be guaranteed interviews at Bristol. Glasgow Manchester and QMUL. They did used to do BMAT which looking at the medicine thread people (not all!) mostly do bc they have a low UCAT. So, I’m not sure if that gives any clues. The only thing I’d say is at the openday I got the impression they’re looking more at the type of person more than basing it solely on results. They mentioned it’s harder at Leeds bc there’s an extra qualification compared to other universities. So more work. I think you have to ignore anyone’s advice, opinion or best guess on Leeds and decide for yourself because none of us know how they intend to deal with the UCAT -they don’t know yet apparently. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest