The Student Room Group

HELP!! Unable to find the examination board I sat my Mathematics GCSE back in 1992/93

I am trying to get a copy of my Mathematics GCSE certificate results.
I sat this exam in 1992/93.
I have got in touch with the FE College where I sat this re sit paper. As its been a very long time they cannot help. I have even asked which examination board I sat the paper with and they are not sure.
Originally I sat the WJEC board examination and only gained a D grade.
I can remember re siting the paper with this college but in a different town. I can remember travelling up there every Wednesday afternoon for tuition lessons but cant remember the exact date/month or even the actual year.
I have paid for a copy of my certificate with Pearson's, OCR and AQA and all have come back with no success!!
What next?
College unable to help. Surely there must be an archive or database that can point me in the right direction in order for me to get a copy of my Mathematics GCSE result, Grade C.
Original post by mal bev
I have got in touch with the FE College where I sat this re sit paper. As its been a very long time they cannot help. I have even asked which examination board I sat the paper with and they are not sure.
I can remember re siting the paper with this college but in a different town. I can remember travelling up there every Wednesday afternoon for tuition lessons but cant remember the exact date/month or even the actual year.
I have paid for a copy of my certificate with Pearson's, OCR and AQA and all have come back with no success!!
What next?
College unable to help. Surely there must be an archive or database that can point me in the right direction in order for me to get a copy of my Mathematics GCSE result, Grade C.

https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate/if-your-old-exam-board-no-longer-exists

If you sat WJEC then why isnt it WJEC again? Did you sit it in Wales or England?

Have you tried Eduqas?

http://www.eduqas.co.uk/contact-us/
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate/if-your-old-exam-board-no-longer-exists

If you sat WJEC then why isnt it WJEC again? Did you sit it in Wales or England?

Have you tried Eduqas?

http://www.eduqas.co.uk/contact-us/

Okay I will try them

I sat the original under the WJEC in Wales. Moved to a college in the same town and they advised to sit the English Maths GCSE.
Apparently easier. Although I did pass with a Grade C!!
If no luck then I best re sit at my young age of 42.
Original post by mal bev
Okay I will try them

I sat the original under the WJEC in Wales. Moved to a college in the same town and they advised to sit the English Maths GCSE.
Apparently easier. Although I did pass with a Grade C!!
If no luck then I best re sit at my young age of 42.

I would start with who the college use now as sometimes they dont change.
Speak to the exam officer.

Eduqas is simply the English version of WJEC.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
I would start with who the college use now as sometimes they dont change.
Speak to the exam officer.

Eduqas is simply the English version of WJEC.

Yes I can ask to speak to the exam officer.

Cheers
Original post by mal bev
What next?

I can't believe the college can't find out for you!

Here is a list of old boards - maybe one name will remind you:

You might find it cheaper to just resit the exam. I tried to track down replacement certificates from the 80s. After spending over £200 for searches and not finding any I resat English and Maths. They were free to do at my local college and if you are looking to study at a later date then more up to date qualifications are a bonus.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
I can't believe the college can't find out for you!

Here is a list of old boards - maybe one name will remind you:

Cheers I will have a look.

Apparently I do need to speak to the college exam officer and they should be able to HELP!!
Original post by mal bev

Apparently I do need to speak to the college exam officer and they should be able to HELP!!

Yes they should have records - there were computers in schools in those days! What happened to your original certificate/
Reply 9
Yes they should have records - there were computers in schools in those days! What happened to your original certificate/

Only just!! HA HA Cheers! lucky it wasn't O levels then I be really stuck.
I never had them when I moved out from my parents house and now I need it for proof towards my PHD application. So all my early days qualifications they are lost. I have managed to get replacement (not cheap) apart from this Mathematics GCSE one!! Really come on is it that important. But in their eyes it is!!
Original post by mal bev
Only just!! HA HA Cheers! lucky it wasn't O levels then I be really stuck.
I never had them when I moved out from my parents house and now I need it for proof towards my PHD application. So all my early days qualifications they are lost. I have managed to get replacement (not cheap) apart from this Mathematics GCSE one!! Really come on is it that important. But in their eyes it is!!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Good luck :smile:

can only try the exam officer in my old college!!

cheers for your help
Original post by mal bev

It's definitely worth asking but it is quite a long shot - not that many centres keep records going that far back and GDPR has made a lot of places decide not to keep anything for more than 7 years. Very few centres will have electronic records going that far back so it would almost certainly mean going through a heap of paper - if they've kept it.
Reply 13
Original post by Compost
It's definitely worth asking but it is quite a long shot - not that many centres keep records going that far back and GDPR has made a lot of places decide not to keep anything for more than 7 years. Very few centres will have electronic records going that far back so it would almost certainly mean going through a heap of paper - if they've kept it.

yes my thoughts exactly
GDPR has given opportunity for many organisations to have a mass clear out!!
If they haven't got any record for myself showing Grade C in the resit will companies just accept my word?
Or just take Grade D from my original exam? As I made sure I passed the second time around!!
Original post by mal bev
yes my thoughts exactly
GDPR has given opportunity for many organisations to have a mass clear out!!
If they haven't got any record for myself showing Grade C in the resit will companies just accept my word?
Or just take Grade D from my original exam? As I made sure I passed the second time around!!

I honestly don't know - we keep records (and uncollected certificates) going back over 60 years. Most companies will accept a letter on school paper in lieu of certificates so we do that if we haven't still got their certificates.
Reply 15
Original post by Compost
I honestly don't know - we keep records (and uncollected certificates) going back over 60 years. Most companies will accept a letter on school paper in lieu of certificates so we do that if we haven't still got their certificates.

I am going to get in contact with the current exam officer for the college tomorrow and see if they can guide me to the examination board that they used back then!!
Long shot but I have nothing to lose only something to gain!!

Cheers
Does the wiki list from 1986 onwards (GCSE's introduced) ring any bells, on this page

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examination_boards_in_the_United_Kingdom
Reply 17
Original post by mal bev
What next?

Hi, I am in exactly the same position and they cannot find my certificate. It was the same year 1992/3.
I reset my maths gcse in 1993 after getting a D in 1988. I have paid all the exam boards and the closest I got was AQA who finally found some results from my college but not mine. I know I did it and all the lessons before the exam. I feel like they have lost or didn’t record results from 1993. I need it for my PGCE and I don’t know what to do next!
I’m sure there must be more of us out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending