The Student Room Group

How can I stop obsessively re-writing notes and information in uni

Hi all, I am an 18 yr uni student in Canada (I am originally from the UK) right now I am taking a biology and chemistry heavy major/ subject in the hopes of applying to Nursing . I am having a bit of a dilemma.

The main issue is I have a huge problem with obsessive note taking and trying to make my notes look pretty and neat and "complete" with all the information or else I get so anxious and think I will fail my exams. This fear leads me to re-write notes over and over and rip out pages from books in frustration or cry while studying. I don't even really study since I all do is rewrite the same information over and over. This problem is also apparent when I type my notes, I just make new google docs. Instead of using flashcards and practice exams I am always stuck in the loop of taking notes over and over. This issue gave me a wrist injury one time in high school.

I am scared that if I keep this up I will never be able to succeed in any health profession due to the sheer amount of time I waste spiraling and being anxious. This issue almost cost me my 1-2 year pre-reqs for Nursing and is ruining my life. I already have general anxiety and other learning issues this is my last straw really.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated, I don't know what to do anymore. I plan on seeing a professional soon but I need other suggestions since that won't be for a while and I have a test coming up.
I used to do this a lot - what helped was writing notes with friends in a shared doc/ one note. I was more anxious about being rude to my friends then deleting their notes and rewriting. Maybe that will help?
Reply 2
Original post by toothysmile
I used to do this a lot - what helped was writing notes with friends in a shared doc/ one note. I was more anxious about being rude to my friends then deleting their notes and rewriting. Maybe that will help?

Thank you so much for the response. This is actually a really good idea I will be sure to implement it :smile:
Maladaptive perfectionism almost, there are things you can do. Google it, I am no shrink.
Reply 4
There’s an app called study smarter. Where you can create flash cards and tracks your studying. What’s also good about it, it has AI so it can create questions too!
You can also try mindmaps which can help visually.
Good luck
Reply 5
Original post by random_matt
Maladaptive perfectionism almost, there are things you can do. Google it, I am no shrink.

Thank you for the advice, I am trying to sort out seeing a professional. I will google it. Thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by JJ522
There’s an app called study smarter. Where you can create flash cards and tracks your studying. What’s also good about it, it has AI so it can create questions too!
You can also try mindmaps which can help visually.
Good luck

Oooh, I have never heard of that app. I will download it and see if it helps. Thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending