The Student Room Group

can I get a grade 9 doing this?

If I watch and make notes/memorise those run through entire topics on YouTube and do past papers can I get a grade 9 or do I need to use the textbook. By the run through I mean those 1-2 hours videos which go through the topic.
Original post by Myaccount61616
If I watch and make notes/memorise those run through entire topics on YouTube and do past papers can I get a grade 9 or do I need to use the textbook. By the run through I mean those 1-2 hours videos which go through the topic.

Probably - GCSEs don't require vastly efficient study methods (although it would be worth looking into).

Actively learning the content can really help your understanding and knowledge and it can get you high marks in exams; but make sure you leave some time to go through exam-style questions/past papers because that's where you can apply your knowledge/understanding to questions that are based off of what will come up in your exams.
Reply 3
I got straight 9s by doing this: Rewriting notes from class (reading textbooks is helpful especially since sometimes it’ll have those extra details in there your school may not have covered), if I didn’t understand a concept watch a few YouTube videos, did active recall on every topic (so I’d split a unit into 5 sub themes within it, random spinner to pick one, write everything I know down, reread notes and add any parts I missed, repeat for everything else). Did lots of past paper questions and marked them, asked teachers if really didn’t get something. Your method should work as you’re learning content and practising but I’d recommend adding some recall cause you can look at a piece of text and think ‘Yeah I know this’ but actually you’re just familiar with it and remember learning about it.

I never did any of those big full topic videos (although there weren’t any for my exam board), but I’d recommend if you do those to watch 1 at the start of revision for a recap, and then 1 maybe a week/5 days before exam, since by then it’s more important to practise.

Hope this helps!
Original post by study23!
I got straight 9s by doing this: Rewriting notes from class (reading textbooks is helpful especially since sometimes it’ll have those extra details in there your school may not have covered), if I didn’t understand a concept watch a few YouTube videos, did active recall on every topic (so I’d split a unit into 5 sub themes within it, random spinner to pick one, write everything I know down, reread notes and add any parts I missed, repeat for everything else). Did lots of past paper questions and marked them, asked teachers if really didn’t get something. Your method should work as you’re learning content and practising but I’d recommend adding some recall cause you can look at a piece of text and think ‘Yeah I know this’ but actually you’re just familiar with it and remember learning about it.

I never did any of those big full topic videos (although there weren’t any for my exam board), but I’d recommend if you do those to watch 1 at the start of revision for a recap, and then 1 maybe a week/5 days before exam, since by then it’s more important to practise.

Hope this helps!

How often did you use the textbook, these so much content so I find it easier to just watch and write notes in it and do practice questions, will that be enough do you think or should I also use the textbook?
Original post by study23!

Hope this helps!

Ok - although efficient revision doesn't matter at GCSE level, please refrain from re-writing notes.
Reply 6

i personally find reading the textbook useful - while doing so, i highlight the important contents especially key words as they frequently comes out in exams. after about two~three days of reading it, i go through the specification points of the topic and make new notes through textbook.

the main reason why i go through the textbook is because there is a backup reasoning that i can claim to my teachers if they mark it wrong.

doing past papers are definitely helpful since most teachers cut questions out from those. memorizing the mark schemes are also essential since it gives you an insight in which the examboards really want the students to know.

however, if you feel like watching youtube videos while not getting distracted by other contents so that you can solely focus on "studying", the method that best suits you would be the most effective way too study.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Arnold Rimmer
Ok - although efficient revision doesn't matter at GCSE level, please refrain from re-writing notes.

For me re-writing notes in my own words was the way to get it down on paper and actually think about what the information was whilst I was writing. You’re right though, it’s not right for everyone. It’d probably be easier to do a few bullet points on the main topics in form of flashcards.
Reply 8
How often did you use the textbook, these so much content so I find it easier to just watch and write notes in it and do practice questions, will that be enough do you think or should I also use the textbook?

Not that often, I’d skim the textbook when doing notes to see if there were any things I’d missed in my notes. Mostly though I used it just to clarify what I was revising was correct. I don’t think a textbook is essential (and also they can be expensive!). If watching works better for you than reading continue to watch the videos, you don’t want to waste your time sitting rereading the same sentence cause it won’t get in your head 😂 I think you’re approach of watching the video, making summary notes and then doing practice questions sounds good, but nearer the time of the exam I’d recommend doing more questions than notes.

Quick Reply

Latest