The Student Room Group

best study methods?

generally, what study methods have you found resulted in more stuff memorised and higher test scores
Original post by snowroe
generally, what study methods have you found resulted in more stuff memorised and higher test scores

Hey @snowroe

My favorite revision method is mind mapping. I write down everything I can remember about a topic in one colour and then add what I missed from my notes in another. I do the same thing for that topic every 2 days until I remember it all first time. It took me a few years to work out that that's how I memorise stuff best though- so you'll have to find what works for you. Some people prefer to use flashcards, voice recordings, or diagrams, but the underlying principle is active revision. Don't just sit there and re-read notes, you need to be actually doing something with the information to be able to commit it to memory.

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by snowroe

For me, mind-maps, highlighting notes for biology and chemistry doesnt work. Im bad at making things look aesthetically pleasing. So I just write very messy notes from the textbook, than from memory. I make sure to link the topics.
There are two parts to focus on for maximising your grade for GCSEs (particularly for Sciences), which is knowledge and exam technique.

For the knowledge part, make sure you go through the specification and have covered each point in enough detail. Make flash cards so that you can practice 'active learning' rather than 'passive learning', where you simply read information passively. Mind maps are another great way to jot down what you know about a subject.

For exam technique, practice makes perfect! Make sure you know how to answer questions, using terminology that examiners like to see. Learn how to structure your answers in ways that make logical sense, which make it easier for the examiners to mark.
Reply 4
Original post by snowroe

I'm going to say flashcards but specifically using Quizlet. It was website that saved my gcses as it meant I could revise the key topics anywhere and they were all organised on my phone. :smile:
Original post by snowroe

for essay based subjects i used flashcards to summarise key points, important analysis, quotes and dates and i got a nine in history and english lit which are the main ones i used this technique for. However i did end up using so many flashcards and they took some time to make so great to create at the start of the year/ after mocks.

Quick Reply

Latest