The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP I went on gap year for 8 months can I apply for uni loans?

Im not a british citizen but i do have permanent residence and i can apply for student loans HOWEVER I need to have direct links to the UK to get my student loan. Other than proof of paying taxes or bills on a current property in the UK, is there anything else? I'm on a gap year for 8 months and I temporary had a job for 5 months. Now I'm just having a holiday there, is there anything i can prove to the government that I only went there temporarily? Such as my 3 month work contract ? And that I brought a plane ticket back home before applying for uni? My course starts in september 2024.
Thank you so much if you help 😭
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Bvhhn
Im not a british citizen but i do have permission residence and i can apply for student loans HOWEVER I need to have direct links to the UK to get my student loan. Other than proof of paying taxes or bills on a current property in the UK, is there anything else? I'm on a gap year for 8 months and I temporary had a job for 5 months. Now I'm just having a holiday there, is there anything i can prove to the government that I only went there temporarily? Such as my 3 month work contract ? And that I brought a plane ticket back home before applying for uni? Thank you so much if you help 😭

Hi there,

Can you please confirm when your course begins?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Can you please confirm when your course begins?

Thanks, Graeme

It begins this year in September. Thank you
Original post by Bvhhn
It begins this year in September. Thank you

Thanks - in case you didn't know, the 24/25 applications are expected to open in Spring, so this won't be long now. Once they do you can apply online: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Time spent abroad is normally fine so long as it's temporary. So, your temporary contract and plane tickets are normally enough to show this.

When you apply you'll be able to upload any evidence you have and the assessors will let you know if they need any further details at all.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Thanks - in case you didn't know, the 24/25 applications are expected to open in Spring, so this won't be long now. Once they do you can apply online: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Time spent abroad is normally fine so long as it's temporary. So, your temporary contract and plane tickets are normally enough to show this.

When you apply you'll be able to upload any evidence you have and the assessors will let you know if they need any further details at all.

Thanks, Graeme

Thank you so much! But I don't have uk citizenship or passport, so would it still be 100% OK for me to get a loan?

also I've been told by my uni that if I have been abroad I should " Please also provide evidence that you have sustained links with the UK throughout the period of absence, in the form of utility bills or tax payments on a current property."

I don't have any of that as I'm 18 and I don't pay bills. Would sustained links like having a UK bank account work? How about any other sustained links? Thank you!
Original post by Bvhhn
Thank you so much! But I don't have uk citizenship or passport, so would it still be 100% OK for me to get a loan?

also I've been told by my uni that if I have been abroad I should " Please also provide evidence that you have sustained links with the UK throughout the period of absence, in the form of utility bills or tax payments on a current property."

I don't have any of that as I'm 18 and I don't pay bills. Would sustained links like having a UK bank account work? How about any other sustained links? Thank you!

Hi there,

How long prior to the break did you live in the UK for? Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

How long prior to the break did you live in the UK for? Thanks, Jason

14 years. Then in 1.9.2023 I started working temporarily for 5 months. I'll be going back to the UK in march 2024 17th. Would I still be eligible?
Original post by Bvhhn
14 years. Then in 1.9.2023 I started working temporarily for 5 months. I'll be going back to the UK in march 2024 17th. Would I still be eligible?

Hi there,

We can't say for definite over social media whether your would be eligible or not, as you would need to provide your evidence as mentioned above to show your time outside the UK was temporary, and the team will review this when you apply and confirm if its been accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 8
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

We can't say for definite over social media whether your would be eligible or not, as you would need to provide your evidence as mentioned above to show your time outside the UK was temporary, and the team will review this when you apply and confirm if its been accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Evidence as in a temporary work contract? If so can I message you to see if im eligible? Thank you
Hi there. Here are some examples of evidence that can be used:

A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature

Temporary visas or work permits

Evidence to show that the student maintained a connection to the UK. Documents such as bank statements and utility bills can be reviewed

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 10
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Here are some examples of evidence that can be used:

A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature

Temporary visas or work permits

Evidence to show that the student maintained a connection to the UK. Documents such as bank statements and utility bills can be reviewed

Thanks, Leah.

Bank statements such as money going in and out of my British bank account? Or is it something else? Is there anything I can prove that I've maintained a connection to the UK? As i dont pay any bills? Thank you!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Bvhhn
Im not a british citizen but i do have permanent residence and i can apply for student loans HOWEVER I need to have direct links to the UK to get my student loan. Other than proof of paying taxes or bills on a current property in the UK, is there anything else? I'm on a gap year for 8 months and I temporary had a job for 5 months. Now I'm just having a holiday there, is there anything i can prove to the government that I only went there temporarily? Such as my 3 month work contract ? And that I brought a plane ticket back home before applying for uni? My course starts in september 2024.
Thank you so much if you help 😭

Hi there,

The above evidence you have including your work contract (showing it was a temporary) one will all be reviewed accordingly. Applications are expected to go live in the early spring so once you apply you can submit this evidence via your account for it to be reviewed. If the assessor do require anything further they will email you advising of this. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending