The Student Room Group

how does moving into second year uni house work?

since there isn't an overlap between when the contract for our accommodation ends and when the housing contract starts, i wasn't sure what to do since i would ideally like to move my things in straight away? because it seems like a hassle to drive all the way back home with my stuff (which took a couple of trips since our car is quite small) just to bring them back a few days later, so i was wondering what everyone elses experience was with this? thank you! :smile:
Hello,

This is a sticky situation, this happened to me and my friends! We had to ask the landlord if we could move in any earlier, or if they had anywhere we could keep some things. I would recommend getting in touch with the agency/ landlord you are letting through and explaining your situation as you never know what they may offer.
You could also ask your university advice and wellbeing for any assistance as they may have suggestions too.
Unfortunately we had to ask friends in the area to keep hold of some belongings until the move in date, one of my friends hired a small rental unit!
Though it’s a difficult situation as I totally understand you not wanting to travel home with your belongings, I would just look around and ask anyone who could help!
Good luck :smile:

Ria
Official LJMU Rep
Original post by Anonymous #1
since there isn't an overlap between when the contract for our accommodation ends and when the housing contract starts, i wasn't sure what to do since i would ideally like to move my things in straight away? because it seems like a hassle to drive all the way back home with my stuff (which took a couple of trips since our car is quite small) just to bring them back a few days later, so i was wondering what everyone elses experience was with this? thank you! :smile:
Hello,

Everyone dreads this period particularly because of all the moving they'll have to do so you're definitely not alone. Usually, if the period is going to be a long, people usually store their stuff in a storage house or with their friends but since it's only for a short while, you could talk to the accommodation you would like to move into to see if it's possible to move your things before the start of the contract or ask your current accommodation if you could leave your things a little longer. I had a similar issue, but I couldn't leave my things or take it in early, so I left my things with a friend that lives closer to the accommodation. You could ask your friends what they think and take that into account when deciding what to do. Hope this helps!

Hi there,

This is really annoying when this happens and it happened to me last year!

I would say to get in contact with your new landlord and ask if there is any possibility you could move in a couple of days earlier, but they may not be able to do this. You could also ask the halls that you are staying in now if there is any possibility that you could stay for another few days.

Like has been suggested, if you have any other friends nearby who may be able to keep some of your stuff for a couple of days this would be a good idea. If not, you may have to hire a storage uni. I'm not sure if you can do this for just one week but it would be worth looking into. However, it could also be expensive so it's up to you what you would rather do.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador

Hi Anon,
Maybe speak to the Landlord as there's only a short amount of time, to see if you could get access to your house earlier. Alternatively, maybe try asking friends if they could store your belongings as its only for a few days.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi!
First of all, don't panic! I've been in this situation before, and here's what I would do:
1) Ask your landlord if it's possible to move things in early. Make sure you tell them that you're NOT planning on moving in, so that ideally you can still pay half rent if possible.
2) If they say no, you might have friends at uni who's landlord has said yes. I've let friends do this before, but see if you can box up your stuff and move some of it into their place. Make sure it's clearly labelled as your things so they don't get lost!

Best of luck and I hope this works out for you!

Hi there,

A lot of people have their parents drive their things home and then back into their new accommodation when they move in. This wasn't an option for me so I asked Cardiff Uni accommodation if I could extend my contract by 2 days so that I could move my things into my new accommodation on 1st July. It's always worth asking and they just charged me the pro-rate cost of my extension.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending