The Student Room Group

UCAS applications

Hi, if I choose my 5 choices of universities at the very beginning of the UCAS form how do I then apply to each university? I don't understand how, after choosing universities, we can make an application to exactly that university out of 5 others. Is every application (with contact information, grades and personal statement ..) renewed after completion, and so at all 5 universities?

I don't know how to formulate it correctly, so I would be grateful for any advice😅
Reply 1
Hey, I’ve finished my UCAS application this year, your application is sent off to the unis by ucas once your entire application is submitted, so all unis will get the same documents except for the specific course applications.

Unis will then either accept or reject the application, at any point from being accepted into 2 unis you can take their offer as primary choice and insurance choice, as long as they’ve given you an offer.

I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Echo2707
Hey, I’ve finished my UCAS application this year, your application is sent off to the unis by ucas once your entire application is submitted, so all unis will get the same documents except for the specific course applications.

Unis will then either accept or reject the application, at any point from being accepted into 2 unis you can take their offer as primary choice and insurance choice, as long as they’ve given you an offer.

I hope this helps :smile:

i wish i'd had someone explaining it like this when i applied paha.

just a note on insurance and firm offers from someone who applied last year-

so if a uni accepts you, they can give you a conditional or unconditional offer. conditional means there are terms to the offer- for example you need CCC or 94 tariff points (some unis don't use tariff points anymore so check uni's course websites). then unconditional offers are where you have been accepted regardless of grades but you may need to turn down all of your other offers before accepting.

when you've narrowed down your unis, you'll have to select your firm choice. for me, my firm choice was the one that wanted the lowest grades. they wanted BCC whilst the others wanted AAB. meaning when i accepted, i didn't get an insurance choice. insurance choices are optional! it is always good to have one though but sometimes like i exampled, it isn't possible.

when you get your results, you tell your chosen uni/unis through ucas usually. if you get higher grades than expected, you can choose to actually go to a different uni than you selected. but if you get the exact grades for your firm, you cannot select your insurance, so please choose wisely! if you don't meet the grades, you can go through clearing where you can get a place at a different university or course for lower grades!

for your personal statement- the same one will go to all of your uni choices! so if you're applying to different courses (for example, biology at bristol and english at brighton), i would suggest including both subjects into your statement. i know a few people who did that. personally i chose film and english degrees at all five unis meaning the statement was half english and half film if that makes sense?

if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask! (hopefully i explained okay!) :smile:
Reply 3
so, if for example I wrote my own essay for each university, then I will still have to combine my three essays into one and then UCAS will send my single personal application to three different universities? And if I make one application to one university, I will pay for it and send it. Can I re-apply to the second university through UCAS or will the form no longer accept it?

Original post by Starrytillymae
i wish i'd had someone explaining it like this when i applied paha.

just a note on insurance and firm offers from someone who applied last year-

so if a uni accepts you, they can give you a conditional or unconditional offer. conditional means there are terms to the offer- for example you need CCC or 94 tariff points (some unis don't use tariff points anymore so check uni's course websites). then unconditional offers are where you have been accepted regardless of grades but you may need to turn down all of your other offers before accepting.

when you've narrowed down your unis, you'll have to select your firm choice. for me, my firm choice was the one that wanted the lowest grades. they wanted BCC whilst the others wanted AAB. meaning when i accepted, i didn't get an insurance choice. insurance choices are optional! it is always good to have one though but sometimes like i exampled, it isn't possible.

when you get your results, you tell your chosen uni/unis through ucas usually. if you get higher grades than expected, you can choose to actually go to a different uni than you selected. but if you get the exact grades for your firm, you cannot select your insurance, so please choose wisely! if you don't meet the grades, you can go through clearing where you can get a place at a different university or course for lower grades!

for your personal statement- the same one will go to all of your uni choices! so if you're applying to different courses (for example, biology at bristol and english at brighton), i would suggest including both subjects into your statement. i know a few people who did that. personally i chose film and english degrees at all five unis meaning the statement was half english and half film if that makes sense?

if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask! (hopefully i explained okay!) :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Viktoria16
so, if for example I wrote my own essay for each university, then I will still have to combine my three essays into one and then UCAS will send my single personal application to three different universities? And if I make one application to one university, I will pay for it and send it. Can I re-apply to the second university through UCAS or will the form no longer accept it?

You can add more choices at a later date if you haven't used all 5 originally, but your application is the same for all of them (i.e. the personal statement originally submitted is the one sent to all choices).

Why would you be writing a different essay for each uni?
Original post by Interea
You can add more choices at a later date if you haven't used all 5 originally, but your application is the same for all of them (i.e. the personal statement originally submitted is the one sent to all choices).

if you applied for different subjects, you will have to mention all the subjects into that one statement. you could do it in separate paragraphs for example!
Reply 6

Yes, you must only submit one essay, which will go to all three. For mine, I did a brief overview of each of my A Level subjects, outlining how it has helped and can help in the future, etc. then a bit about my personal hobbies and what skills they’ve allowed me to gain.

I’m honestly not too sure about the second question. I believe that once the application has gone, it can’t be changed. If it can be changed, I doubt they will accept a different personal statement
when you apply, you don't have to fill all five choices! you can add ones later on as long as no unis have given offers so far. but you cannot change the personal statement.

if all of your options reject you, you're allowed to do a "ucas extra" where you can choose another uni to send your application to (still the same statement).
Reply 8
Original post by Interea

Because i have different tastes in professions and I have no idea how they can be connected
Reply 9
Because i have different tastes in professions and I have no idea how they can be connected

You'll have to choose one subject eventually (you can only do one course after all), so it'll be much easier for you if you can narrow that down before you apply rather than after! That way you can write a cohesive personal statement targeting that specific course (or a small range of courses), rather than writing something that tries to cover a broad range and ends up not covering any of them in sufficient detail.

Hi @Viktoria16

When I applied to UCAS one application form, including one personal statement was sent to all 5 unis. I applied to some physics courses and some physics and biology courses. Because of this I had to combine both interests into one statement. What are the different courses that you wish to apply to?

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Reply 11
Original post by Echo2707
Yes, you must only submit one essay, which will go to all three. For mine, I did a brief overview of each of my A Level subjects, outlining how it has helped and can help in the future, etc. then a bit about my personal hobbies and what skills they’ve allowed me to gain.

I’m honestly not too sure about the second question. I believe that once the application has gone, it can’t be changed. If it can be changed, I doubt they will accept a different personal statement

ok what if i now select 3 universities for this year and click the view and submit button. Can I return to my application profile later, for example in the fall, and submit applications to two more universities (because I already have 3 universities), but not for 2023, but for 2024, because there may not be places for this one
Reply 12
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Viktoria16

When I applied to UCAS one application form, including one personal statement was sent to all 5 unis. I applied to some physics courses and some physics and biology courses. Because of this I had to combine both interests into one statement. What are the different courses that you wish to apply to?

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

Maybe you know, if i now select 3 universities for this year and click the view and submit button. Can I return to my application profile later, for example in the fall, and submit applications to two more universities (because I already have 3 universities), but not for 2023, but for 2024, because there may not be places for this one.

i am interested in Medicine, Dentistry and Physiotherapy
Maybe you know, if i now select 3 universities for this year and click the view and submit button. Can I return to my application profile later, for example in the fall, and submit applications to two more universities (because I already have 3 universities), but not for 2023, but for 2024, because there may not be places for this one.

Each application is for that year.

You apply for (up to) 5 universities in that year. You can just apply for 3. They all get sent your same application (your single personal statement, your single reference (usually from a school), your single set of GCSE results)

you can apply for different courses on the same application but it’s strongly discouraged (as the personal statement will be difficult to write and, in many cases, not reference all of the courses applied for)

your personal statement should indicate why you believe you would be a good student for that course. They tend to look for super curricular activities (outside school activities related to the subject being applied for). If you apply for 3 subjects you have to show that you have done 3 different types of super curricular activities and in sufficient volume to indicate your passion for each subject…. Oh, and you need to do that within a set number of lines / characters.

for this reason it’s highly recommended that you only apply for 1 course and use your personal statement to make it clear why that is the right course for you.

if you then want to apply to 2 more universities (for different courses the following year) that would be a separate UCAS application next year.

hope that helps
(edited 10 months ago)

If you are looking at 2023 entry the equal consideration deadline has long gone, it was back in January. You enter Clearing after June 30th but for physiotherapy the competition is likely to be high with no Clearing vacancies. You are already too late for medicine and dentistry as the deadline was in October, and late applications are not accepted.

If you are applying for 2024 entry you can add a few choices first off then add others later. You make just one UCAS application for the whole cycle (which includes one personal statement for all choices, academic information, references, etc). To ensure that your applications are considered you need to add all choices by the January deadline, or October for medicine and dentistry.

The application process for medicine and dentistry in the UK is a minefield in itself so I suggest you check out the Medicine forum if you haven’t already done so.
Reply 15
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Each application is for that year.

You apply for (up to) 5 universities in that year. You can just apply for 3. They all get sent your same application (your single personal statement, your single reference (usually from a school), your single set of GCSE results)

you can apply for different courses on the same application but it’s strongly discouraged (as the personal statement will be difficult to write and, in many cases, not reference all of the courses applied for)

your personal statement should indicate why you believe you would be a good student for that course. They tend to look for super curricular activities (outside school activities related to the subject being applied for). If you apply for 3 subjects you have to show that you have done 3 different types of super curricular activities and in sufficient volume to indicate your passion for each subject…. Oh, and you need to do that within a set number of lines / characters.

for this reason it’s highly recommended that you only apply for 1 course and use your personal statement to make it clear why that is the right course for you.

if you then want to apply to 2 more universities (for different courses the following year) that would be a separate UCAS application next year.

hope that helps

and one more question 😅 When does the next year for UCAS applications start? from September 6, 2023 I apply for 2024?
Or, for example, if I send my applications tomorrow, then I have to wait exactly one year until next June 27.
Or does the new year begin on January 1?

sorry, I don't fully understand this whole system
and one more question 😅 When does the next year for UCAS applications start? from September 6, 2023 I apply for 2024?
Or, for example, if I send my applications tomorrow, then I have to wait exactly one year until next June 27.
Or does the new year begin on January 1?

sorry, I don't fully understand this whole system

UCAS timetable for last year (2023) and next year (2024) is available at https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/ucas-undergraduate-when-apply

Medicine and dentistry are very competitive courses so if you submit a personal statement for three different courses you will be rejected.

Medicine and dentistry applicants can only apply to four choices - the fifth choice can be for any other subject. Applicants write a personal statement for medicine or dentistry and then email their fifth choice to ask if they can submit a separate personal statment for that subject. Many unis accept this - some won't. You will also need to prepare for and take UCAT before you apply and the UCAS application deadline for medicine/dentistry is 16 October 2023 (for Sep/Oct 2024 entry).

https://www.ucat.ac.uk/

You really need to decide which career you want to pursue and make sure you have relevant work/volunteering experience to support your application before you apply.

You might find the Medicine forum useful:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195

Also, example of personal statements for medicine, dentistry and physio can be found here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending