The Student Room Group

Is £30k/year a good graduate salary for an actuary in London

Hi, I have applied for a few actuarial training contracts, some based in London.

One company has two separate listings (non-London and London). The non-London salary is £28k/year and the London salary is £30k/year. Both have salary increases after passing each exam.

£28k seems okay for a graduate outside of London, but I'm wondering if the extra £2k for the London job would be able to afford the same quality of life I'd get outside of London.

As a bit of a background, I don't go out clubbing, I only go out for drinks very occasionally (maybe once every 2-3 months), but I do like the variety of food London has to offer, so I'd probably eat out twice a week?

Would I be able to reasonably afford my own place (1 bed/studio), and if so, in what zone?

Of course, the salary progression is decent and so I won't be on £30k for too long (actually the listing has a range of £30-£33k)

Many thanks
Reply 1
You may find that no needing a car helps with the costs of living in London. I think you would struggle to afford rent outside of sharing.
Original post by Sid2001
Hi, I have applied for a few actuarial training contracts, some based in London.

Depending where you live in London, public transport costs could easily use up the extra £2k per year.
Reply 3
London is a lot more expensive. But depends where non-London is (that's a lot of area). Somewhere like Huddersfield is going to be cheaper than Manchester/Birmingham.

However, consider your field and think about if there are other advantages to being in London. In other sectors, often London has the best facilities, best training, best clients etc so then your personal development can be quicker and progression better. CV may look better too.
Reply 4
Original post by Zerforax
London is a lot more expensive. But depends where non-London is (that's a lot of area). Somewhere like Huddersfield is going to be cheaper than Manchester/Birmingham.
However, consider your field and think about if there are other advantages to being in London. In other sectors, often London has the best facilities, best training, best clients etc so then your personal development can be quicker and progression better. CV may look better too.
this should be emphasized. As OP notes, the salary will increase fairly quickly in the first few years anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending