The Student Room Group

Any advice for year 10?

I’m going to be in year 10 in 2 days and I’m not sure how to prepare, in year 9 I didn’t always pay attention but I did make better progress by the end of the year.I got my times table and it says they’ve put me into foundation maths, I emailed the school so I hope they reply soon, for my GCSEs im taking, geography, French and PE as well as the compulsory, I’m also doing combined science. im not really sure how to revise so if any one has advise it would be really appreciated! I’ve thought about using past papers but im not sure where to find them. I currently use CGP books which I find helpful
Reply 1
Original post by Lulu149
I’m going to be in year 10 in 2 days and I’m not sure how to prepare, in year 9 I didn’t always pay attention but I did make better progress by the end of the year.I got my times table and it says they’ve put me into foundation maths, I emailed the school so I hope they reply soon, for my GCSEs im taking, geography, French and PE as well as the compulsory, I’m also doing combined science. im not really sure how to revise so if any one has advise it would be really appreciated! I’ve thought about using past papers but im not sure where to find them. I currently use CGP books which I find helpful

hey, i'm going into yr11 this year and i'd say u don't rlly need to worry that much for the majority of year 10. I go to a grammar skl so they really like to push us. Don't take it too seriously but make sure u understand everything that your teachers tell u and defo ask if ur stuck. I didn't so thats prob why i needed to catch up a lot in the holidays. In year 10 what i did was do my hw on the day i got it and set aside atleast 30 mins in the afternoon to make revision resources (like flashcards) or go over what i learnt that day. That was super useful for mocks or eoys in the summer!! I think u should enjoy year 10 but start to think about what u wanna do next and study according to that! like make ur goals visible to u. hope that was useful!
Reply 2
Thanks for replying!! I think going over the lesson would be rlly helpful!
Original post by Lulu149

Hi @Lulu149,

My advice would be to try and have all your revision materials made for your year 10 content during this year so that you are not having to play catch up in year 11. As I found having resources made for my year 10 content really helped and allowed me to make best use of my time in my final year.

I also found CGP books useful during my time as well so its great that you are using them, I would look into the workbooks that they also sell if you haven't already as these provide some great practice questions.

For French I had the Pearson books which were the revision workbook and revision guide, they also have target books as well for specific grades so if you have a specific target grade/ grade you would like to get then I would recommend them and did the Edexcel higher paper.

For science I made my own revision cards and then completed past papers these usually were provided to us by our teachers as a lot of the time your mocks are the most recent GCSE papers and you can't always access the others online.

For maths I would definitely recommend Mathswatch I think most high schools have a subscription to this that was the best thing for me and just doing ALOT of practice questions as that's the only way you can really get better at maths.

For revisions guides my high school sold them at a cheaper price however if you have missed the cut off or they don't sell them in your next two years I would recommend looking on Amazon and eBay for used ones as this is a cheaper option.

I would recommend speaking with your teachers and seeing if they have any further recommendations for you on how to revise and the best resources available.

As you have said yourself you have improved since the end of year 9 so I'm sure you are going to continue to do great, and make sure to enjoy year 10 as I feel like year 11 is where it gets rather intense (as I found we were having period 6's so an extra hour of subjects multiple days a week so it becomes a bit more tiring and quite hectic trying to stay on top of all your subjects).

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Reply 4
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @Lulu149,

My advice would be to try and have all your revision materials made for your year 10 content during this year so that you are not having to play catch up in year 11. As I found having resources made for my year 10 content really helped and allowed me to make best use of my time in my final year.

I also found CGP books useful during my time as well so its great that you are using them, I would look into the workbooks that they also sell if you haven't already as these provide some great practice questions.

For French I had the Pearson books which were the revision workbook and revision guide, they also have target books as well for specific grades so if you have a specific target grade/ grade you would like to get then I would recommend them and did the Edexcel higher paper.

For science I made my own revision cards and then completed past papers these usually were provided to us by our teachers as a lot of the time your mocks are the most recent GCSE papers and you can't always access the others online.

For maths I would definitely recommend Mathswatch I think most high schools have a subscription to this that was the best thing for me and just doing ALOT of practice questions as that's the only way you can really get better at maths.

For revisions guides my high school sold them at a cheaper price however if you have missed the cut off or they don't sell them in your next two years I would recommend looking on Amazon and eBay for used ones as this is a cheaper option.

I would recommend speaking with your teachers and seeing if they have any further recommendations for you on how to revise and the best resources available.

As you have said yourself you have improved since the end of year 9 so I'm sure you are going to continue to do great, and make sure to enjoy year 10 as I feel like year 11 is where it gets rather intense (as I found we were having period 6's so an extra hour of subjects multiple days a week so it becomes a bit more tiring and quite hectic trying to stay on top of all your subjects).

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

Rebecca

Hi @EdgeHillStudents

thanks so much for responding
I’ll try to find some Pearson gcse books (we also use them at school) my school also has maths watch which is a really good tool in my opinion!!!
I started doing my home work 1 hour after I get home so I get it done, I’m trying ti find the right revision method for me atm ! But anyway hope you have a great day!!!!!
Original post by Lulu149
Hi @EdgeHillStudents

thanks so much for responding
I’ll try to find some Pearson gcse books (we also use them at school) my school also has maths watch which is a really good tool in my opinion!!!
I started doing my home work 1 hour after I get home so I get it done, I’m trying ti find the right revision method for me atm ! But anyway hope you have a great day!!!!!

Hi @Lulu149,

That's great!

I would recommend whilst you have this year to try out different revision techniques definitely do as I'm sure one or a mix of a few will work out for you. Maybe look on YouTube as well for any tips or tricks they have on the best ways for revising.

Have a great day as well! :smile:

Rebecca
Original post by Lulu149

Hi Lulu,
I think with year 10 the best advice anyone can give you is that firstly dont worry, everyone is in the same boat as you so if you feel like you're struggling don't hesitate to reach out to anyone. But the year will go by a lot faster than you would've ever thought, so make you understand everything that you go over in lessons and if you dont try and consolidate your knowledge before your next class in that subject.
Try not to leave all your work till the last minute (easier said than done i know) and just try and make any revision resources that'll help you next year throughout the course rather than waiting till the summer (because summer will go by so quick and before you know it there'll be a week left and you'll have months worth of revision card to make, believe me i've been there).
Enjoy your year, take care and i wish you the best of luck! xx
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Pay attention in class to lessons. If you don't understand something ask a teacher or look it up online. I'd recommend revising for examinations in school like mocks to see how capable you are.
Reply 8
Original post by Lulu149

Use physics and maths tutor!
Reply 9
Original post by liz.raspberry07
Hi Lulu,
I think with year 10 the best advice anyone can give you is that firstly dont worry, everyone is in the same boat as you so if you feel like you're struggling don't hesitate to reach out to anyone. But the year will go by a lot faster than you would've ever thought, so make you understand everything that you go over in lessons and if you dont try and consolidate your knowledge before your next class in that subject.
Try not to leave all your work till the last minute (easier said than done i know) and just try and make any revision resources that'll help you next year throughout the course rather than waiting till the summer (because summer will go by so quick and before you know it there'll be a week left and you'll have months worth of revision card to make, believe me i've been there).
Enjoy your year, take care and i wish you the best of luck! xx

thank you sm! I've been finding year 10 really nice but I never know how to revise for English!! its one of those subjects that a hard to revise for! haha thanks again xx
Original post by Lulu149

One advice i would give to you is that year 10 should be fun, i regret taking it so seriously - year 11 is when it was more important. That's when i started revising. Just remember not to stress and as long as you make sure to do the work in class and revise for your tests and thats pretty much it.

I chose the exact same choices as you so my advice:

French - I don't remember even trying for this GCSE in year 10, in year 11 i pretty much started revising 2 months before the exam. Look out for key or interesting vocabulary because examiners love to see that whether its in your speaking or writing assessments. Also practise your listening because idk about everyone else, but our speaking was played in a massive hall so it echoed alot and we could barely hear what was being said.

Geography - memorize those case studies, drawing or printing diagrams will help you understand so much more.

PE - Flash cards are going to be useful - ur going to be learning different types of training types, drugs, bones etc. With all that content, it will be overwhelming but its easy to put the basic things on flashcards.

I don't know what your aims are for GCSEs whether its all 9s or just above the pass mark. Even if you aim to get 9s, you could just start revising during the summer holidays and get the grades. Year 10 isn't as important as you think it is or people make it out to be. Just do a handful more than the bare minimum and you'll do great. I go to a grammar school so there was so much pressure to do well but looking back, year 10 isn't important and you should still be having fun. You dont want be be getting stressed in year 10 and then even more stressed in year 11. For core subjects I definitely recommend Physics and maths tutor. I still use it for my alevels and its amazing. Seneca is good for little bits of revision and recaps.
Reply 11
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
One advice i would give to you is that year 10 should be fun, i regret taking it so seriously - year 11 is when it was more important. That's when i started revising. Just remember not to stress and as long as you make sure to do the work in class and revise for your tests and thats pretty much it.

I chose the exact same choices as you so my advice:

French - I don't remember even trying for this GCSE in year 10, in year 11 i pretty much started revising 2 months before the exam. Look out for key or interesting vocabulary because examiners love to see that whether its in your speaking or writing assessments. Also practise your listening because idk about everyone else, but our speaking was played in a massive hall so it echoed alot and we could barely hear what was being said.

Geography - memorize those case studies, drawing or printing diagrams will help you understand so much more.

PE - Flash cards are going to be useful - ur going to be learning different types of training types, drugs, bones etc. With all that content, it will be overwhelming but its easy to put the basic things on flashcards.

I don't know what your aims are for GCSEs whether its all 9s or just above the pass mark. Even if you aim to get 9s, you could just start revising during the summer holidays and get the grades. Year 10 isn't as important as you think it is or people make it out to be. Just do a handful more than the bare minimum and you'll do great. I go to a grammar school so there was so much pressure to do well but looking back, year 10 isn't important and you should still be having fun. You dont want be be getting stressed in year 10 and then even more stressed in year 11. For core subjects I definitely recommend Physics and maths tutor. I still use it for my alevels and its amazing. Seneca is good for little bits of revision and recaps.

Thank you so much for replying!!! I am aiming to get all 8-9s for my GCSEs, and I do use physics and maths tutor bc it’s really helpful! Hope you are enjoying a levels! If you don’t mind me asking, what subjects did you pick ?

Thanks x
Original post by Lulu149
Thank you so much for replying!!! I am aiming to get all 8-9s for my GCSEs, and I do use physics and maths tutor bc it’s really helpful! Hope you are enjoying a levels! If you don’t mind me asking, what subjects did you pick ?

Thanks x

I picked computer science, maths and business :smile:
Original post by Lulu149

Only advice is that Past papers are gold; Also, note that in 2025 traditional GCSE exam formats in will be back and make sure to consider All GCSE 2025 updates and do as many past papers as possible. For maths, for example, you can find them at Corbettmaths 5-a-Day and Maths Genie.

Quick Reply

Latest