The Student Room Group

pathway to becoming a clinical psychologist

hi, i'm an a level student studying psychology, sociology and english literature who wants to work as a clinical psychologist in the future. i'm confused as to how i would achieve this with the different responses I've been getting (being told to do a professional doctorate in counselling or clinical psychology????)

what would be the usual pathway for this? like, a bsc in psychology and then a clinical/counselling psychology doctorate or are there other steps, too? like an msc?
Reply 1
Original post by pastaaroll
hi, i'm an a level student studying psychology, sociology and english literature who wants to work as a clinical psychologist in the future. i'm confused as to how i would achieve this with the different responses I've been getting (being told to do a professional doctorate in counselling or clinical psychology????)

what would be the usual pathway for this? like, a bsc in psychology and then a clinical/counselling psychology doctorate or are there other steps, too? like an msc?

Yes, pretty simply you will need an accredited bsc and then a doctorate in clinical psychology, in between lots of relevant experience (practical and paid). Masters are useful but not mandatory.

Hope that helps,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest