The Student Room Group

Notice Period

Notice Period

Hi all,

I have been interviewing for jobs and have been offered a new one, great stuff.

However, innocently, I originally advised I was on a 4 week notice. Upon looking at the contract it does mention after 4 years (I’ve been there 7) there would be on week added. I am not in a managerial position; which is what I believe it’s covering and obviously don’t want to leave on bad terms.

I’ve contacted prospective employer today and advised of the above, saying that unfortunately I’d misread my contract and it does stipulate 7 weeks. However, I’ve advised that I am going to still hand in my notice with the view to start in 4, if however, my current employer wants me to stay for 7 would that be suitable as I wouldn’t want to break my contract. The new boss is off on annual leave for a couple of days. So sitting tight.

Have I done the right thing? How likely do you think I’ve f***ed up?
Sounds pretty sensible. It's what I would've done.
Reply 2
I would double-check this with your existing employer. It sounds a little unusual to have your notice period increase depending on length of service -- and does it say that it increases by one week per additional year? (I've worked with people who have reached 40 years continuous service with the same employer, and it would be bizarre if they had to give 40 weeks' notice to leave!)

I wonder if you're reading the rules on redundancy rather than resignation. With redundancy the amount of notice the employer has to give varies with length of service.

You may find that your existing employer may allow you to leave sooner than your contract specifies. I've known cases where a person is required under their contract to give three months' notice but has been allowed to leave after just a month.
Original post by martin7
I would double-check this with your existing employer. It sounds a little unusual to have your notice period increase depending on length of service -- and does it say that it increases by one week per additional year? (I've worked with people who have reached 40 years continuous service with the same employer, and it would be bizarre if they had to give 40 weeks' notice to leave!)

I wonder if you're reading the rules on redundancy rather than resignation. With redundancy the amount of notice the employer has to give varies with length of service.

You may find that your existing employer may allow you to leave sooner than your contract specifies. I've known cases where a person is required under their contract to give three months' notice but has been allowed to leave after just a month.

I second checking with your employer, and or checking your contract. Also remember that you may be able to use up annual leave to try and reduce your notice period. I was / am currently on a contract where notice period does increase after 1 year of service but it is clearly stated in my contract.

no harm in talking to your current employer :smile:
Why did I think this was about menstruation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending