The Student Room Group

Gave wrong notice period to new employer

Hi, I was offered a job yesterday that is much higher pay and more hours compared to my current job. however, i said the current company i work for requires a 1 week notice. i have been unable to access my contract until now and it actually states that my current boss will need a months notice. the job that i will be taking has already given me a start date of next week and my new boss is quite passive aggressive so i don’t think she would be happy if i asked to push back the start date. for my current job i do 2 4hour shifts saturday and sunday, however my new job requires me to work until 2 on a saturday and the latest shift my current company does is 2-6 which i would be late to. i have had an idea to give in the 4 weeks notice tomorrow to my boss and ask if i could do a 3-6 shift on a saturday and a 5 hour shift on a sunday to still meet contact hours before i leave. do you think this is a good idea or should i do something else?
Original post by SianH12
Hi, I was offered a job yesterday that is much higher pay and more hours compared to my current job. however, i said the current company i work for requires a 1 week notice. i have been unable to access my contract until now and it actually states that my current boss will need a months notice. the job that i will be taking has already given me a start date of next week and my new boss is quite passive aggressive so i don’t think she would be happy if i asked to push back the start date. for my current job i do 2 4hour shifts saturday and sunday, however my new job requires me to work until 2 on a saturday and the latest shift my current company does is 2-6 which i would be late to. i have had an idea to give in the 4 weeks notice tomorrow to my boss and ask if i could do a 3-6 shift on a saturday and a 5 hour shift on a sunday to still meet contact hours before i leave. do you think this is a good idea or should i do something else?

Your idea sounds like a sensible proposal to me.

However, it may not suit your old employer, as they will be one person "down" from 2 until 3 on a Saturday, and will be over-staffed for one hour on a Sunday. Depending on the nature of the work you do, that just might not work.

It's also worth asking your old employer if there is any flexibility in your notice period, as you'd rather leave sooner than four weeks. They may simply say no, but it does no harm to ask.

Do you have any holiday entitlement at your old job? Could you legitimately book some time-off during the last two weeks of your notice period?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending