The Student Room Group

Help with quitting my job

Hi I’ve worked at my job ( boba store ) for just over a month now it’s just a Saturday job , they said my probation period was 2 weeks but still no contract signed apart from trade secret agreement .

Can I just give a notice letter and not return ? Im away for a week anyway
Original post by vlvtlix
Hi I’ve worked at my job ( boba store ) for just over a month now it’s just a Saturday job , they said my probation period was 2 weeks but still no contract signed apart from trade secret agreement .

Can I just give a notice letter and not return ? Im away for a week anyway

When you say "still no contract signed", does that mean that you've received the contract - or at least read the contract - but have yet to sign it? Or has the contract of employment not even been discussed?

If you've received a contract and continued to work, then there's an implication that you've accepted the terms therein - including that regarding your notice period.

What is the normal notice period where you work?

Have you been paid for the work you have done so far? If you just provide a letter of resignation and walk away (without providing any notice) you might find it difficult to obtain payment - as they may argue that you've breached the terms of the implied contract. (They wouldn't have the right to withhold payment, buy they could make it difficult for you to obtain it.)
Reply 2
I would give a letter of resignation and work your notice, whatever that it. Do as you would be done by and don’t burn bridges. This said, if you just walk away I doubt they’ll do much. Make sure you get your cash though
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
When you say "still no contract signed", does that mean that you've received the contract - or at least read the contract - but have yet to sign it? Or has the contract of employment not even been discussed?

If you've received a contract and continued to work, then there's an implication that you've accepted the terms therein - including that regarding your notice period.

What is the normal notice period where you work?

Have you been paid for the work you have done so far? If you just provide a letter of resignation and walk away (without providing any notice) you might find it difficult to obtain payment - as they may argue that you've breached the terms of the implied contract. (They wouldn't have the right to withhold payment, buy they could make it difficult for you to obtain it.)

I haven’t been given a contract at all . I’m worried I might get given it in my next shift but won’t be signing it . We’re paid cash weekly but the manager hadn’t been in and left it so I’m like 3 weeks behind. If I don’t go back I’ll be losing the money from my next shift but I don’t think I’m too bothered.

I searched back on messages they sent me and it says 2 week notice I’m not sure if that’s after the contract or not
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
I would give a letter of resignation and work your notice, whatever that it. Do as you would be done by and don’t burn bridges. This said, if you just walk away I doubt they’ll do much. Make sure you get your cash though

we get paid cash a week in hand so I think I’d have to go in afterwards to pick up money seems awkward lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending