The Student Room Group

Notice period for summer work

I'm applying for jobs between finishing A Levels and uni. I've been asked what my notice period and it sounds dumb but I don't know. Do I need a notice period for summer work?
Original post by misseuropa
I'm applying for jobs between finishing A Levels and uni. I've been asked what my notice period and it sounds dumb but I don't know. Do I need a notice period for summer work?

This will depend on your current employer (if you have a job at the moment). If your current employer has a certain notice period, you need at least that much time as your notice period for the new role (you would want 1-2 weeks on top to allow you to adjust to the new role).

If you currently don't have a job and you are eager to start as soon as possible, say you don't have a notice period (usually helps with getting the job in general). If you can work all available hours throughout the whole week, the more they would like your application.

If you have yet to finish your exams, say your notice period is the amount of time between now and your last exam e.g. if your last exam is on the 30th this month, say you need 2 week's notice period, even if they get back to you after the 30th. You do this to ensure that you have enough time to cover for your exams, since some jobs can immediately call you the moment you hand in your application.
Original post by misseuropa

If you aren't working, you don't have a notice period. You just tell them when you can start work.

A notice period is something you have when you are employed. It is the warning you have to give an employer that you intend to leave them.
Reply 3
You’re in the appealing position of being ‘immediately available’. I suppose some employers might also be interested to know how long you will remain available for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending