The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

The University of essex

Is the university of essex a good university to go to for computer science?

Mainly in terms of job prospects
Original post by Anonymous
Is the university of essex a good university to go to for computer science?

Mainly in terms of job prospects

It's "medium" in terms of average salary six months after graduating (£25,000) and in terms of the percentage of graduates employed in a role where their degree is essential or beneficial (83%). It's "low" in terms of the percentage of graduates employer or in further education six months after graduating (88%). Further statistics from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DHLE) survey and the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes (LEO) dataset are available on The Uni Guide here.

For Computer Science, what has far more impact than the university you attend is the experience you already have when you apply for jobs. So do everything you can to gain "real world" experience - preferably demonstrable experience. Create you own web site or app, contribute to open-source projects, learn a language or programming framework which is in demand (but which might not be taught at university), etc.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
It's "medium" in terms of average salary six months after graduating (£25,000) and in terms of the percentage of graduates employed in a role where their degree is essential or beneficial (83%). It's "low" in terms of the percentage of graduates employer or in further education six months after graduating (88%). Further statistics from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DHLE) survey and the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes (LEO) dataset are available on The Uni Guide here.

For Computer Science, what has far more impact than the university you attend is the experience you already have when you apply for jobs. So do everything you can to gain "real world" experience - preferably demonstrable experience. Create you own web site or app, contribute to open-source projects, learn a language or programming framework which is in demand (but which might not be taught at university), etc.

Thank you so much
The average salary is more than I thought. I'm glad real world experience is worth more than the name of the university I might attend as that was one of my main worries plus I want to do a degree with a placement year.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much
The average salary is more than I thought. I'm glad real world experience is worth more than the name of the university I might attend as that was one of my main worries plus I want to do a degree with a placement year.

Good plan - doing the placement year would be very worthwhile for Computer Science / IT-related jobs once your graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending