The Student Room Group

Would a nurse be allowed on shift with a visible black eye?

I'm planning to study mental health nursing this September, however my BF sometimes get's a little rough when he drinks, and I'm worried that I won't be allowed to do work placement if I get a blackeye (if they consider it unprofessional or distressing to service users). Would you have to take time off placement if you had a blackeye?
Reply 1
Original post by AdolpheAudusson
I don’t believe you would be allowed on placement if you had a black eye and there was any suspicion that a domestic incident such as you imply had caused it. Neither the work experience venue nor the education course provider would be comfortable as far as I know, and do you really want to have to tell a story if someone asks?

I don't mind lying and saying I fell or walked into a door. But incase I have long placements (6 - 12 weeks), I'm nervous if I get more than one blackeye, that it will show up as safeguarding and I could lose my placement. But overall, if I even have just one blackeye, would I not be allowed to go on placement if there's no obvious hint towards a domestic incident?
Reply 2
Original post by EmpathyBoy
I'm planning to study mental health nursing this September, however my BF sometimes get's a little rough when he drinks, and I'm worried that I won't be allowed to do work placement if I get a blackeye (if they consider it unprofessional or distressing to service users). Would you have to take time off placement if you had a blackeye?

If you are not a troll then it is sad that this has become so normal to you that you are making a post about how it would affect your work and not your own health. It is not normal and you should not have to go through it.

Please do something about it now because your life does not need to be like this.

https://www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/en/How-can-we-support-you
https://refuge.org.uk/i-need-help-now/how-we-can-help-you/national-domestic-abuse-helpline/
Reply 3

Um, it seems like you're getting concerned over the wrong things? Being drunk isn't an excuse for him to do that to you and you should be questioning your relationship instead of this, I hope you're okay. But if you were to go to work with a visible injury it would definitely raise a lot of questions and would mean that you'd have to take time off placement because it would be making patients uncomfortable with your injury as you have already mentioned.
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
If you are not a troll then it is sad that this has become so normal to you that you are making a post about how it would affect your work and not your own health. It is not normal and you should not have to go through it.

Please do something about it now because your life does not need to be like this.

https://www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/en/How-can-we-support-you
https://refuge.org.uk/i-need-help-now/how-we-can-help-you/national-domestic-abuse-helpline/

I understand that it's not normal but he is my partner so I owe my loyalties to him. He's only like this when he drinks too much and I visit him at while he's off it. But I really am passionate about having a career in mental health, and I don't want to get kicked off placement due to it. So I was wondering if in the future, would I be allowed to work with service users or would it be deemed unproffesional
Reply 5
Original post by Bean_cat
Um, it seems like you're getting concerned over the wrong things? Being drunk isn't an excuse for him to do that to you and you should be questioning your relationship instead of this, I hope you're okay. But if you were to go to work with a visible injury it would definitely raise a lot of questions and would mean that you'd have to take time off placement because it would be making patients uncomfortable with your injury as you have already mentioned.

Would this affect my academics? I really want to attend all my future shifts and I don't want them to contact my Uni, and for me to get behind on my work / grades
Reply 6
I understand that it's not normal but he is my partner so I owe my loyalties to him. He's only like this when he drinks too much and I visit him at while he's off it. But I really am passionate about having a career in mental health, and I don't want to get kicked off placement due to it. So I was wondering if in the future, would I be allowed to work with service users or would it be deemed unproffesional

Why do you owe your loyalties to him? Who said?
Reply 7
He is my first love, I've also opened up to him a lot. He is actually really supportive of me trying to work in the NHS, so he kinda unintentionally helped motivate me pursue a career in mental health instead of s3x work like I used to think of doing
Reply 8
Would this affect my academics? I really want to attend all my future shifts and I don't want them to contact my Uni, and for me to get behind on my work / grades

Unfortunately it would definitely affect your academics, you'd be missing out on core content and experiences along with all the knowledge you'd be missing out on. The way you talk about this issue so naturally makes me think this is a common occurrence and I'm worried for you. As you've mentioned in your other posts you care about your partner, but how far is too far? It might be a black eye for now, but can you guarantee that he won't seriously hurt you in future? Really think about that. How much time are you going to take off to recover and miss out on your education and passion? It feels like you're damaging yourself just to be with him and yeah this'll be bad for your mental health if you keep ending up in these situations because of him, it's also bad for him too in the long run.
Reply 9
Original post by Bean_cat
Unfortunately it would definitely affect your academics, you'd be missing out on core content and experiences along with all the knowledge you'd be missing out on. The way you talk about this issue so naturally makes me think this is a common occurrence and I'm worried for you. As you've mentioned in your other posts you care about your partner, but how far is too far? It might be a black eye for now, but can you guarantee that he won't seriously hurt you in future? Really think about that. How much time are you going to take off to recover and miss out on your education and passion? It feels like you're damaging yourself just to be with him and yeah this'll be bad for your mental health if you keep ending up in these situations because of him, it's also bad for him too in the long run.

Physically, he's never like this when he's sober. So I plan to not visit him him if I'm aware / suspect he's had a drink. I just genuinely wasn't sure if I'd be allowed to work with service users with a blackeye, as I've never ever seen a doctor, nurse, teacher, social worker, etc with a blackeye before
Physically, he's never like this when he's sober. So I plan to not visit him him if I'm aware / suspect he's had a drink.

Does that sound even remotely like it will work out long term? The violence towards you is always dormant within the guy otherwise he would have done something about it. He's scum.

If I got drunk and raised my hand to my partner, regardless of their choice I would end things out of shame and an admission that I cannot support or care for my partner and they literally deserve better. I wouldn't just hang about like a bad smell till next time.
This smells pungently of troll.

You owe him nothing. Get out of the relationship before anything worse happens.

WTF. Please report to the police.

Hi there,

Sorry you are going through this.

Just reaching out to you as I wanted to let you know there is support available out there that may be of use:

- Victim Support
https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/
Get in touch anytime for independent, free, and confidential advice:
Call Supportline on 08 08 16 89 111

- Refuge - Anyone, domestic violence

- Relate - Anyone, relationship support
Tel: 0300 0030 396 (need to book appointment for counselling)
Live chat: https://www.relate.org.uk/relationsh...hat-counsellor

Hope you find this useful and please come into ATCS if you have any further questions.

If you are being physically hurt or feel threatened we would encourage you to report it to the police.

Please look after yourself.

Best wishes,
TSR Support
Reply 15
i hope this is a troll,
if not you must stop allowing this. your permitting an abuser to assault you. this raises concerns for someone that will meet abuse victims and provide care and support . how can you help them if your accepting this abuse. you should know this violence will only get worse. you dont have to report him but you do have to leave him.
Reply 16
Random update: I’ve started Uni, and me and this boy are officially over. I don’t plan to report him or anything, but I’ve left him and have put all my focus into getting my dream job in mental health
Random update: I’ve started Uni, and me and this boy are officially over. I don’t plan to report him or anything, but I’ve left him and have put all my focus into getting my dream job in mental health

:yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending