The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Appeal

I have made an appeal against the decision of my application. The Uni has gave me a conditional offer based on my diploma grade. One of the conditions is that I need to get grade A in all math modules. In my application, prior to receiving my conditional offer, I have submitted grade A- for 2 math subject. Recently the uni stated that my application is unsuccessful due to those grades along with a B+ in a non-math subject, which is not the condition (I am confused too). In short, my application is unsuccessful for the same reason they gave me an offer. Do you guys think this is solid enough?
Original post by Anonymous
I have made an appeal against the decision of my application. The Uni has gave me a conditional offer based on my diploma grade. One of the conditions is that I need to get grade A in all math modules. In my application, prior to receiving my conditional offer, I have submitted grade A- for 2 math subject. Recently the uni stated that my application is unsuccessful due to those grades along with a B+ in a non-math subject, which is not the condition (I am confused too). In short, my application is unsuccessful for the same reason they gave me an offer. Do you guys think this is solid enough?

Although there may be some module grades outstanding (are there?), the grades you've provided them so far (both before you received the conditional offer, and subsequently) meet the conditions of the offer. So they can't withdraw the offer on the basis of you having failed to meet the conditions, if that's not actually what's happened.

Prior to going down the appeal route, it might be worth just calling the admissions team and asking them to explain how a B+ in a non-maths module can impact your conditional offer, if the condition was that you achieved a A in all maths modules. Perhaps there's some ambiguity as to whether this particular module is a maths module or not? Or perhaps they've just made a genuine mistake?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I do get grade A in all math module indeed, but kinda confused regarding is A include A-. Regarding the B+ grade, I have explain to them and provide evidence via email, but they didn't respond, so I continue with the appeal
I do get grade A in all math module indeed, but kinda confused regarding is A include A-. Regarding the B+ grade, I have explain to them and provide evidence via email, but they didn't respond, so I continue with the appeal

Ah, I'd missed the "-" in your original message. I think you may have identified the issue (i.e. A and A- are not the same).

You say you're not sure whether an A- counts as an A; I suspect it does not. What is the specific type of diploma that you have? (Please name is as accurately as possible.)
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Ah, I'd missed the "-" in your original message. I think you may have identified the issue (i.e. A and A- are not the same).

You say you're not sure whether an A- counts as an A; I suspect it does not. What is the specific type of diploma that you have? (Please name is as accurately as possible.)

The diploma is considered as one of the acceptable Pre-degree from my country for the uni entrance (kinda equivalent to A-level), specifically diploma in Actuarial Science.

Regarding the grade, they gave me the offer after reviewing my gardes, so why give an offer when they think I didn't fulfill rhe condition tho? I have applied for lots of scholarships and some even have lend me interview tho...
The diploma is considered as one of the acceptable Pre-degree from my country for the uni entrance (kinda equivalent to A-level), specifically diploma in Actuarial Science.

Regarding the grade, they gave me the offer after reviewing my gardes, so why give an offer when they think I didn't fulfill rhe condition tho? I have applied for lots of scholarships and some even have lend me interview tho...

I can't lookup how the grading works for your diploma based upon the information you've provided.

Most countries have many, many different types of diploma. If we were talking about the UK (which I now realise that we're not) it could be an Access to HE Diploma, a BTEC National Diploma, a BTEC National Extended Diploma, a BTEC National Foundation Diploma, a CACHE Level 3 Extended Diploma, a Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) Diploma, a Cambridge Pre-U Diploma, a Cambridge Technical Diploma, a Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma, a Cambridge Technical Foundation Diploma, or an International Baccalaureate Diploma. All of these are listed on Manchester's UK entry requirements page. So saying it's "considered as one of the acceptable Pre-degree from my country for the uni entrance (kinda equivalent to A-level)" and that it's a "diploma in Actuarial Science" doesn't really help with what type of diploma it is.

I guess you'll just have to wait until they respond to your e-mail.
Reply 6
The thing is, its really just named a diploma in Actuarial Science. It is categorised as other non-EU qualification in the UCAS (international qualification), that is why I find it hard to explain it. If you need further info, it's from Malaysia, that's all I can say. Sorry for the inconvenience tho.
The thing is, its really just named a diploma in Actuarial Science. It is categorised as other non-EU qualification in the UCAS (international qualification), that is why I find it hard to explain it. If you need further info, it's from Malaysia, that's all I can say. Sorry for the inconvenience tho.

OK. Your reference to Malaysia was the clue I needed. According to https://afterschool.my/diploma-in-actuarial-science-courses, a Diploma in Actuarial Science in only offered by one uni/college in Malaysia - Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM). (That fact may be incorrect, but I'm running with it!)

According to the Academic Regulations on the UiTM web site (here, from 2011 but the latest version I could find), "Examination results and course evaluations are in the form of grades and grade values (refer to Table 5)." Table 5 is below:

UiTM - Table 5  - Table of Grade Values.JPG

So, according to that, A- and A are clearly different and map to different grade values (unlike A and A+, I note). So, that explains why your A- doesn't meet the offer conditions. However, is still doesn't explain why they made you a conditional offer (based on the requirement to attain "grade A in all math modules") if you'd already "submitted grade A- for 2 math subject" within your application itself.

Do update us when you hear back from them.
Reply 8
Original post by DataVenia
OK. Your reference to Malaysia was the clue I needed. According to https://afterschool.my/diploma-in-actuarial-science-courses, a Diploma in Actuarial Science in only offered by one uni/college in Malaysia - Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM). (That fact may be incorrect, but I'm running with it!)

According to the Academic Regulations on the UiTM web site (here, from 2011 but the latest version I could find), "Examination results and course evaluations are in the form of grades and grade values (refer to Table 5)." Table 5 is below:

UiTM - Table 5  - Table of Grade Values.JPG

So, according to that, A- and A are clearly different and map to different grade values (unlike A and A+, I note). So, that explains why your A- doesn't meet the offer conditions. However, is still doesn't explain why they made you a conditional offer (based on the requirement to attain "grade A in all math modules") if you'd already "submitted grade A- for 2 math subject" within your application itself.

Do update us when you hear back from them.

oh my god, thank you so so much, will update you soon
Reply 9
I have been updated by the Uni regarding my offer status. It is said that they have made a mistake in the wordings of the conditions. It is being said that after referring my concern to the center of admission, my condition does not accurately represent the entry requirement for my diploma. Hence, it will be reinstated.
I have been updated by the Uni regarding my offer status. It is said that they have made a mistake in the wordings of the conditions. It is being said that after referring my concern to the center of admission, my condition does not accurately represent the entry requirement for my diploma. Hence, it will be reinstated.

So your conditional offer is being reinstated, and you've met the conditions so far? That's fantastic news! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending