The Student Room Group

was it stupid of me to have done this in my ucas application

i know i can’t do anything about it now but just wondering if anyone else has done this before?
my firm choice will accept me if i get BBB however my insurance will accept me if i get AAB. i only did this because i was absolutely set on going to my firm and i just chose the insurance choice randomly since i was sure i would get in to my firm. i do know this is potentially stupid since if i don’t get into my firm it’s straight to clearing, and with all this talk about the grade boundaries being tougher is making me worried.

has anyone else done something like this before and what was the outcome?
Original post by annonnymouus
i know i can’t do anything about it now but just wondering if anyone else has done this before?
my firm choice will accept me if i get BBB however my insurance will accept me if i get AAB. i only did this because i was absolutely set on going to my firm and i just chose the insurance choice randomly since i was sure i would get in to my firm. i do know this is potentially stupid since if i don’t get into my firm it’s straight to clearing, and with all this talk about the grade boundaries being tougher is making me worried.

It happens fairly often. Most of the time the applicant gets into their firm, just occasionally into their insurance.
Original post by annonnymouus

Basically it just means in most cases if you don't get into your firm choice, you probably won't be accepted by your insurance choice and then will be looking at clearing or reapplying. This is why it's advised your insurance choice should have a lower grade requirement.

That said it is possible they could accept you as a near miss applicant even if your firm choice doesn't. However I think that is less likely as you would only fail to get into your firm normally if you got CBB, which means you would be 3 grades below the requirement for your insurance which isn't really a "near miss"...but depending on the uni and course, they may be extremely permissive with grades potentially.

However I would suggest preparing yourself mentally (if not actually) for the possibility of going through clearing if you miss the grades for your firm choice. Hopefully you will get into your firm uni and it will be a moot point though :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending