The Student Room Group

Train fare

Hi
I purchased an off peak ticket by the time my shift finished in the hospital I was held back. I got on the train peak time. When my ticket was checked the conductor was very rude and intimidating, I offered to purchase a new ticket via app.. he rudely refused and said I want cash. When we got of the train he made me follow him around, I saw a kiosk I said to him I will buy a ticket from there, he wouldn’t let buy it, he told me he will send a fine in the post..I was very upset, the fines came to the wrong address. Then as it got to late and it was then either pay fine for go to court, I decided I didn’t do anything wrong I was treated unfairly even though I offered to pay . But he demanded cash.. any way it went to court I paid the fine then I applied for a job my DBS came back with a conviction. I was traumatised. I only went to court because I thought the judge would see my side. But any way . I can’t sleep I am getting g I. To depression .. I am a convict this is so embarrassing

Please advise
Reply 1
Sounds like you handled things less than well to be honest. This said it’s hardly the crime of the century. It probably won’t block you from most jobs. In a while it will be a spent conviction too
Original post by Kilophgbnnv
Hi
I purchased an off peak ticket by the time my shift finished in the hospital I was held back. I got on the train peak time. When my ticket was checked the conductor was very rude and intimidating, I offered to purchase a new ticket via app.. he rudely refused and said I want cash. When we got of the train he made me follow him around, I saw a kiosk I said to him I will buy a ticket from there, he wouldn’t let buy it, he told me he will send a fine in the post..I was very upset, the fines came to the wrong address. Then as it got to late and it was then either pay fine for go to court, I decided I didn’t do anything wrong I was treated unfairly even though I offered to pay . But he demanded cash.. any way it went to court I paid the fine then I applied for a job my DBS came back with a conviction. I was traumatised. I only went to court because I thought the judge would see my side. But any way . I can’t sleep I am getting g I. To depression .. I am a convict this is so embarrassing

Please advise

That's disgusting how you were treated
Reply 3
I paid the fine .. the way I was treated by the conductor I felt was wrong. As he wouldn’t let me purchase another ticket. So I took my families advice and I thought best option would be go to court due the treatment I received. But this didn’t go in my favour I was told to pay fine which I did .. but now I am a convict it’s in my standard DBS.. will this always show …will it show on the enhanced .. can I write to DBS and to the court and request them to remove it ifrom my records… I already lost my job due to this ..please please advice me I am really depressed I did purchase a ticket but got on the train earlier and then was demanded to pay by cash only
Reply 4
Original post by Kilophgbnnv
I paid the fine .. the way I was treated by the conductor I felt was wrong. As he wouldn’t let me purchase another ticket. So I took my families advice and I thought best option would be go to court due the treatment I received. But this didn’t go in my favour I was told to pay fine which I did .. but now I am a convict it’s in my standard DBS.. will this always show …will it show on the enhanced .. can I write to DBS and to the court and request them to remove it ifrom my records… I already lost my job due to this ..please please advice me I am really depressed I did purchase a ticket but got on the train earlier and then was demanded to pay by cash only

I don't think there's any requirement for the inspector to allow you to buy a ticket when you're caught travelling without a valid ticket.

I think you were badly advised here. A magistrate isn't going to take into account whether or not you felt badly treated -- from a legal point of view the two issues are (1) were you travelling on a train (yes) and (2) did you have a valid ticket to travel on that train (no).

Quick Reply

Latest