The Student Room Group

Can cctv find out my name and address on a train?

I has the most hectic morning getting to the train station, (my boyfriend usually takes me but today he has to go in way too early) so I got a cab which was late, tried to get an Uber which was late so I eventually made it flustered to the train station. I completely forgot to get my ticket cos I was in such a rush so I purchased an anytime day return on the train on Trainline! The train ticket conductor was there which jogged my memory so I quickly bought it and then she made such a fuss and tried to charge me again , I explained that it’s a genuine mistake I was in a rush etc, she asked for ID ( which i didn’t have) and said if I didn’t pay she would call BTP… I got to paddingington and BTP were not there and I made it through the barrier cos my ticket is legit but I’m so paranoid she’s going to escalate it further! Is this even possible without her knowing my name or anything?
Nope.

Might be an akwakward conversation the next time you bump into them though.
Yeah I'd be surprised if BTP entertained that at all, you did after all have a valid ticket for travel?
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah I'd be surprised if BTP entertained that at all, you did after all have a valid ticket for travel?

Yes I did! It was valid and then because she thought I made a habit of buying them when I’m on the train (which I don’t) she made me go through my Trainline history which showed I’m a frequent traveller and always buy my ticket! Just really shakes me up these things because they make such a scene of you!
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I did! It was valid and then because she thought I made a habit of buying them when I’m on the train (which I don’t) she made me go through my Trainline history which showed I’m a frequent traveller and always buy my ticket! Just really shakes me up these things because they make such a scene of you!

It sounds like they're just being an **** tbh. I'd be minded to make a complaint as threatening to have a paying customer taken away by police is a bit excessive and obviously affects how safe you feel travelling with them.

I know they prefer people to buy before they board, but it's just not always possible, but if THEY are willing to sell you a ticket on the train, surely you can also buy a valid ticket from another vendor?
Train conductors are idiots these days
Why are english train employees **** heads. It wasn't like this with other countries in the UK.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
It sounds like they're just being an **** tbh. I'd be minded to make a complaint as threatening to have a paying customer taken away by police is a bit excessive and obviously affects how safe you feel travelling with them.

I know they prefer people to buy before they board, but it's just not always possible, but if THEY are willing to sell you a ticket on the train, surely you can also buy a valid ticket from another vendor?

That's not what the rules say.

Essentially, you are required to have a ticket with you at the point where you board the train if there are working facilities at that station to buy a ticket. OP had already broken the law before the point where they bought the ticket.

It does get confusing because in some cases a train guard can and will sell a ticket to you even if you could have bought a ticket at the station that you boarded at. But they should only do that if they know that you couldn't have bought a ticket at that station. (In areas where a penalty fare scheme is in operation, it's only certain people who are allowed to issue penalty fares; so if the person checking tickets isn't allowed to give penalty fares, then they'll probably just sell a ticket. If they can issue penalty fares, then they might choose to issue a penalty fare rather than sell a ticket.)

When a guard/inspector sees that you've bought a ticket while you're on the train, the suspicion is always going to be that you've only bought the ticket because you know/suspect that you're going to have to produce it. Perhaps at that point you've been on the train for some time, but you only buy a ticket from the most recent station that the train called at. That's probably why they checked your Trainline history.

The problem with making a complaint is that if OP tells the railway company what happened, then they're effectively admitting that they've committed an offence by boarding a train without being in possession of a valid ticket. In reality, I suspect it's very unlikely that they railway company will take any action, but it's not impossible.

Edit: the applicable rules here are the Railway byelaws, specifically section 18. You can find these at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/railway-byelaws/railway-byelaws
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by martin7
That's not what the rules say.

Essentially, you are required to have a ticket with you at the point where you board the train if there are working facilities at that station to buy a ticket. OP had already broken the law before the point where they bought the ticket.

It does get confusing because in some cases a train guard can and will sell a ticket to you even if you could have bought a ticket at the station that you boarded at. But they should only do that if they know that you couldn't have bought a ticket at that station. (In areas where a penalty fare scheme is in operation, it's only certain people who are allowed to issue penalty fares; so if the person checking tickets isn't allowed to give penalty fares, then they'll probably just sell a ticket. If they can issue penalty fares, then they might choose to issue a penalty fare rather than sell a ticket.)

When a guard/inspector sees that you've bought a ticket while you're on the train, the suspicion is always going to be that you've only bought the ticket because you know/suspect that you're going to have to produce it. Perhaps at that point you've been on the train for some time, but you only buy a ticket from the most recent station that the train called at. That's probably why they checked your Trainline history.

The problem with making a complaint is that if OP tells the railway company what happened, then they're effectively admitting that they've committed an offence by boarding a train without being in possession of a valid ticket. In reality, I suspect it's very unlikely that they railway company will take any action, but it's not impossible.

I should possibly have clarified I'm thinking about Scotland so I'm wrong to assume rules are the exact same, I'm not aware of it being a solid rule/crime up here and I used to be a ticker checker for them. Our conductors at this point pretty much just walk the train asking if anyone needs a ticket.

vomits Oh Ghod, why did I have to remember I worked for Scotrail, YOU DID THIS TO ME!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending