The Student Room Group

Woodhouse Applications

Attention all Woodhouse current students and recent alumni!
Applications are open soon to apply for post-16 (Starting September 2024) and Woodhouse is one of my top choices so I hope I get accepted! I've heard that you have to write a personal statement as part of the post-16 application process but I'm not totally sure so can anyone clarify?

Also the school that I go to in North London staggers GCSEs so we do our language in y9, two options in y10 and the rest in year 11 so you end up doing one more GCSE than most schools, do you think this will give me an extra edge because I know Woodhouse is very oversubscribed and very competitive!

I did French GCSE in y9 but because I was an in year admission and only came 4 months before the exam, I scored a 5 but I did foundation tier. I did Geography and Psychology GCSEs in y10 which I got a 7 and 8 in, respectively.

I'm doing Separate sciences, English, Maths, Food and nutrition and Religious Studies this year, which I am predicted 8-9s in, do you think my French GCSE will pull my average point grade down?

I also want to do English literature, Chemistry and Biology A-levels, so any advice for that would be very much appreciated!!

Sorry for bombarding you guys lol
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Considering that you are way above the minimum grades for the subjects you want to study you should be fine, don't worry about French. Doing one more GCSE probably won't give you much of an 'edge', they just want to see that you do well in maths and English and considering you want to do sciences also your sciences. Don't worry too much about the personal statement thing. They just want to know a bit about you but you really shouldn't stress about it. I hope it all goes well, Woodhouse is a great sixth from and I am enjoying it a lot, best of luck to you.
Reply 2
Original post by Sandyfish
Considering that you are way above the minimum grades for the subjects you want to study you should be fine, don't worry about French. Doing one more GCSE probably won't give you much of an 'edge', they just want to see that you do well in maths and English and considering you want to do sciences also your sciences. Don't worry too much about the personal statement thing. They just want to know a bit about you but you really shouldn't stress about it. I hope it all goes well, Woodhouse is a great sixth from and I am enjoying it a lot, best of luck to you.

Thank you!
If it is not too much to ask, do you remember how the application was laid out? Do they require my personal statement there or do I need it for the interview? Also do you have any interview tips or things that they like in a personal statement/interview?

Thanks again lol
Reply 3
Original post by m1sk1
Thank you!
If it is not too much to ask, do you remember how the application was laid out? Do they require my personal statement there or do I need it for the interview? Also do you have any interview tips or things that they like in a personal statement/interview?

Thanks again lol

They don’t interview, at least have not done in the last few years. There’s a personal statement section, but nothing like when applying for uni, so don’t worry. You just need to add a couple of sentences regarding why you want to do the subjects you have chosen. There is also a question about how you will travel to Woodhouse, as I don’t believe they want people travelling from too far away e.g over 1 hour away.
Reply 4
Original post by lalexm
They don’t interview, at least have not done in the last few years. There’s a personal statement section, but nothing like when applying for uni, so don’t worry. You just need to add a couple of sentences regarding why you want to do the subjects you have chosen. There is also a question about how you will travel to Woodhouse, as I don’t believe they want people travelling from too far away e.g over 1 hour away.

Ah okay that makes so much sense! Thank you for clearing that up! How's your experience there?
Reply 5
Original post by m1sk1
Ah okay that makes so much sense! Thank you for clearing that up! How's your experience there?

Not there myself, but both my kids are. One just finished the other in upper 6. Both loved it socially and both did really well academically.
Reply 6
Original post by m1sk1
Thank you!

Thanks again lol

The application just has a couple of questions that you need to answer. Write them clearly and honestly, you don't have to overthink it. I don't know anyone who had an interview except for one student who was International so I really can't help you with that. I don't think most people do an interview unless they've changed it recently but I highly doubt it.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
thanks for all your help!! ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest