The Student Room Group

A level subjects for dental hygiene

would biology maths and sociology be fine for dental hygiene? Also not having chemistry won't be a problem right?
Original post by dedicated-footbr
would biology maths and sociology be fine for dental hygiene? Also not having chemistry won't be a problem right?

That should be fine, I’ve got a freind who wants to do it, and their taking pretty much the same as you, you need an a level in either biology or chemistry then at least one other from biology, chemistry, maths, physics or psychology I’m pretty sure

I’d look into it on university websites just to check
Reply 3

The specific entry requirements for dental hygiene programs can vary depending on the country and educational institution. However, I can provide some general guidance regarding the subjects you mentioned.

Biology and maths are typically essential subjects for dental hygiene programs. Biology provides a foundational understanding of human anatomy, physiology, and oral biology, which are relevant to dental hygiene. Maths is important for calculations and quantitative aspects of dental hygiene practice, such as understanding radiographs and dosage calculations for anesthesia.

Sociology, while not directly related to the core scientific content of dental hygiene, can still be valuable. Sociology helps develop an understanding of human behavior, communication skills, and the social factors that influence oral health. These skills are relevant for effectively interacting with patients and promoting oral health education.

Regarding chemistry, it is generally not a strict requirement for dental hygiene programs. While chemistry is relevant to the study of human physiology and some aspects of dental materials, it is not typically a prerequisite subject for dental hygiene education. However, it's important to check the specific entry requirements of the dental hygiene programs you are interested in to ensure you meet all the necessary criteria.

Keep in mind that this information is general, and it's always advisable to check the specific entry requirements of the dental hygiene programs you are considering. Contact the admissions office or refer to the program's official website to get accurate and up-to-date information regarding subject requirements and any other prerequisites for admission.
Reply 4
i think they’re good subjects. i got in with biology, psychology and sociology 👍🏾. as long as you get a B or above in biology when looking at entry requirements then you should be fine.
Original post by professor.
The specific entry requirements for dental hygiene programs can vary depending on the country and educational institution. However, I can provide some general guidance regarding the subjects you mentioned.

Biology and maths are typically essential subjects for dental hygiene programs. Biology provides a foundational understanding of human anatomy, physiology, and oral biology, which are relevant to dental hygiene. Maths is important for calculations and quantitative aspects of dental hygiene practice, such as understanding radiographs and dosage calculations for anesthesia.

Sociology, while not directly related to the core scientific content of dental hygiene, can still be valuable. Sociology helps develop an understanding of human behavior, communication skills, and the social factors that influence oral health. These skills are relevant for effectively interacting with patients and promoting oral health education.

Regarding chemistry, it is generally not a strict requirement for dental hygiene programs. While chemistry is relevant to the study of human physiology and some aspects of dental materials, it is not typically a prerequisite subject for dental hygiene education. However, it's important to check the specific entry requirements of the dental hygiene programs you are interested in to ensure you meet all the necessary criteria.

Keep in mind that this information is general, and it's always advisable to check the specific entry requirements of the dental hygiene programs you are considering. Contact the admissions office or refer to the program's official website to get accurate and up-to-date information regarding subject requirements and any other prerequisites for adm

Original post by Ire_p
i think they’re good subjects. i got in with biology, psychology and sociology 👍🏾. as long as you get a B or above in biology when looking at entry requirements then you should be fine.

Alright thank you for the reply!
Reply 6
Original post by Ire_p
What universities did you apply for
Reply 7
Original post by Ire_p

Reply 8
Original post by Maryamx11

hi I applied to portsmouth, newcastle, plymouth, manchester and cardiff with ABB. i’m currently at portsmouth now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest