The Student Room Group

Is it possible to learn all a level content in one month??

Okay so in my sixth form we have a policy that if you don’t get a D or above you have to retake at the end of August and if you still don’t get a D or above you have to retake the year.

So my question is, is it possible for me to learn the whole of a level psychology and biology in 4 weeks and be able to get a D or possibly a C?
No I don’t think it is, sorry. How have you got yourself in this situation??
Reply 2
yes you can, thats easily possible just go over parts you found tricky on the exam and learn that and other things you arent confident in.
I'm assuming you don't mean the whole of A Level Psychology and Biology - just everything you covered in first year. If so, then I guess it may be possible, but it will be easier for Psychology than Biology due to how I think there's more to learn in the latter - it certainly seemed that way looking at how the Biology students in my year struggled with the workload throughout sixth form. Go over past/sample papers, as well as your notes (organise them into booklets; I did that and then recited them to myself as that's how I revise well).

I guess maybe repeating the year could be the best bet, because if you haven't got a good enough foundation now then by the time real exams come around you won't be in a good position. Nevertheless, you could turn it around but that means you'll have to work solidly from when you go back.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
also its first year so it wont bee too hard
Original post by nicolegrace1207
Okay so in my sixth form we have a policy that if you don’t get a D or above you have to retake at the end of August and if you still don’t get a D or above you have to retake the year.

So my question is, is it possible for me to learn the whole of a level psychology and biology in 4 weeks and be able to get a D or possibly a C?

Yeah, I got a D in a biology mock exam in AS and this was 2 weeks before the exam and I got 80% in it so it's possible but I don't recommend it
It depends on how you learn - for example, I am a crammer. I can cram an entire subject into 1-2 weeks, HOWEVER I made it easier on myself by understand content in class (understanding it at the time, not learning it).

If you are academic, you can cram easily. However if you struggle to aim above a D or C I assume education isn't really your thing. So my guess is that no, you won't be able to at least not with a lot of work. Cramming isn't just sitting and revising, the successful crammers have prepared material ready for a cram and understand how exam boards operate (so can quite accurately guess which topics to focus on). I got A*A*A a level and AA in AS levels via cramming (also waiting on an addition a level result in chemistry this year), but I prepared everything beforehand ready to just get in there a week before the exam. If you have only just realised you need to work, it'll be difficult.

My advice:
- Start immediately.
- Do a 'rough run' through all material, do 1-2 topics each subject per day. The rough run is to understand the material as you go through, not to try learn it off by heart.
- Once rouch run is complete, do at least another 2 runs of all material. The second should be learning off general concepts, god third should be picking up on that extra level of detail (learning all the little things you may have missed).
- Depending on time, another run can be very helpful. However if running shirt on time, start doing past papers ESPECIALLY for biology. Exam boards ask the same questions a lot just reworded, and knowing the exact wording of the answers off by heart means you can bang those marks out without much thought
- For biology, get your exam board textbooks. I took CCEA biology and just did an extra a level in chemistry, the CCEA big textbook was the only thing I used to learn the chemistry (that additional a level was via evening classes at a higher education college, so the quality of notes was awful. I only used the textbook). If there is anything similar available to you, I suggest you get it.

Good luck!
Original post by nicolegrace1207

😶😳 that’s called death by studying
symptoms include: stress, anxiety, nervous panic disorder etc.
But I think if you put your mind to it and also have a healthy activity that you do just as a breather you can pull it off~
Just focus on a few topics that you no always come up.
Just... how?! :0 I presume you must have had a thorough understanding of a lot of the topics beforehand?
I see, pretty impressive nonetheless. You say you absorbed the content easily from the book - did you truly understand it, i.e. could recall the information a while after the exam, or were you storing the knowledge into short term memory?
No I’m not learning it all from starch. I’m just trying to achieve a grade D in both the subjects as I got E’s in both of them. So I’m just trying to somehow collect a few marks here and there to bring up my grade to a D as the last thing I want to do is spend an extra year in a school I despise
For biology I recommend Tailored Tutors! You can get an A easily.
Life.
ew this gave me bad mems
Reply 14
Original post by jburnside615
It depends on how you learn - for example, I am a crammer. I can cram an entire subject into 1-2 weeks, HOWEVER I made it easier on myself by understand content in class (understanding it at the time, not learning it).

If you are academic, you can cram easily. However if you struggle to aim above a D or C I assume education isn't really your thing. So my guess is that no, you won't be able to at least not with a lot of work. Cramming isn't just sitting and revising, the successful crammers have prepared material ready for a cram and understand how exam boards operate (so can quite accurately guess which topics to focus on). I got A*A*A a level and AA in AS levels via cramming (also waiting on an addition a level result in chemistry this year), but I prepared everything beforehand ready to just get in there a week before the exam. If you have only just realised you need to work, it'll be difficult.

My advice:
- Start immediately.
- Do a 'rough run' through all material, do 1-2 topics each subject per day. The rough run is to understand the material as you go through, not to try learn it off by heart.
- Once rouch run is complete, do at least another 2 runs of all material. The second should be learning off general concepts, god third should be picking up on that extra level of detail (learning all the little things you may have missed).
- Depending on time, another run can be very helpful. However if running shirt on time, start doing past papers ESPECIALLY for biology. Exam boards ask the same questions a lot just reworded, and knowing the exact wording of the answers off by heart means you can bang those marks out without much thought
- For biology, get your exam board textbooks. I took CCEA biology and just did an extra a level in chemistry, the CCEA big textbook was the only thing I used to learn the chemistry (that additional a level was via evening classes at a higher education college, so the quality of notes was awful. I only used the textbook). If there is anything similar available to you, I suggest you get it.

Good luck!

Thank you for this advice, I have started to revise for my final exams in June. My predicted grades are B C D for cs, physics and math. My goal is to ideally get AAA. I will let you guys know how it goes!

Quick Reply

Latest