The Student Room Group

applying to vet med with BTEC

I just wanted to ask if anyone has completed BTEC animal management and got into a ved med degree , and what modules you did in order to do this. Thankyou
Reply 1
Original post by Bobby Bowie
I just wanted to ask if anyone has completed BTEC animal management and got into a ved med degree , and what modules you did in order to do this. Thankyou

i dont know if its even possible to get into vet with a BTec my mate does Vet in Liverpool and all the people on his course have minimum AAA its really competitve
This is a very definitive guide to applying to study veterinary medicine, produced by the Veterinary Schools Council. Have a good look through it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
A BTEC in animal management isn't nearly enough of an academic preparation to allow you to study vetmed, I'm afraid. You'd need to be taking science A levels - usually chemistry, biology plus one other.

Some places do in fact take BTEC such as the RVC and Nottingham I just wanted to speak to someone who has done this in order to ask a specific question
Some places do in fact take BTEC such as the RVC and Nottingham I just wanted to speak to someone who has done this in order to ask a specific question

Yes, fair enough - I can see that RVC accepts that BTEC with D*D*D* and distinctions in specific modules:

(Animal Biology (120)
Animal Breeding and Genetics (120)
Animal Welfare and Ethics (120)
Practical Skills in Animal Science (60)
Animal Metabolism (60)
Advanced Animal Nutrition (60)
Investigative Research Project (60)

You probably know that already :smile:
Reply 5

yes but u realise how competitve those are like RVC is the LSE of vet. i don't even think 1 gets admitted some years on Btecs
Original post by spyhke
yes but u realise how competitve those are like RVC is the LSE of vet. i don't even think 1 gets admitted some years on Btecs

Errmm I doubt this. If you meet the academic entry requirements you stand just as much of a chance at getting into vet as anyone else. You use other parts of your application such as work experience to make yourself stand out, but as long as you meet the academic requirements somehow (BTEC or A Level or other) then you stand a chance.

I myself am at vet school and know of *at least* 20 people who have done a BTEC in my year alone.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, fair enough - I can see that RVC accepts that BTEC with D*D*D* and distinctions in specific modules:

(Animal Biology (120)
Animal Breeding and Genetics (120)
Animal Welfare and Ethics (120)
Practical Skills in Animal Science (60)
Animal Metabolism (60)
Advanced Animal Nutrition (60)
Investigative Research Project (60)

You probably know that already :smile:

thankyou :smile:

yeah same im curious too
Reply 9
Original post by mathfanatic9292
yeah same im curious too

Just looked at @Bobby Bowie ´s past posts and seen that they got an unconditional from HK, so definitely possible.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 10
yeah same im curious too

Update - I got into vetmed at HK this year with a inconditional offer and just a Btec, no access course or A level needed🥳 so definitely possible
Reply 11
Guys I did it !🥳I got an unconditional offer back in Febuary only 3 days after my interveiw for HK this year to start in September with just a Btec
Guys I did it !🥳I got an unconditional offer back in Febuary only 3 days after my interveiw for HK this year to start in September with just a Btec

hey huge congrats on getting in. do you have any social media i can contact you on for further details of how you got in :smile:, by the way what grades did you get in gcses and btec, if you dont mind saying, but overall Huge Well Done!!! :smile:
Reply 13
hey huge congrats on getting in. do you have any social media i can contact you on for further details of how you got in :smile:, by the way what grades did you get in gcses and btec, if you dont mind saying, but overall Huge Well Done!!! :smile:

hey I just sent you a private message with my Insta :smile:
My GCSEs were
Maths = 6
English lit = 8
English lang = 8
English spoken = D
History = 9
Music = 6
RS = 8
French = 6
Biology = 8
Chemistry = 8