The Student Room Group

Can’t get a job

Hi everyone,

I’m 18, just finished doing my A levels and really need a job! I worked at Greggs for the last 2 years, but I left because our shop closed down and I wasn’t well so I took time off, but I’m now unemployed.

I’ve applied to so many jobs on indeed and LinkedIn. I’m getting rejected everywhere. Any tips on how I can get a job soon! It’s the summer and I really need the money.

Thanks
Original post by zainabxxx
Hi everyone,

I’m 18, just finished doing my A levels and really need a job! I worked at Greggs for the last 2 years, but I left because our shop closed down and I wasn’t well so I took time off, but I’m now unemployed.

I’ve applied to so many jobs on indeed and LinkedIn. I’m getting rejected everywhere. Any tips on how I can get a job soon! It’s the summer and I really need the money.

Thanks

Use different job finding resources. You are using two of the largest sites available, all that does is expose your application to hundreds of times more competition, and no offence, but as a school leaver there are likely a dozen more people in your class, 3 more classes and 4 for sixth forms just in your area where people have the exact same skills. Focus your search to smaller advertisers.

Then for every application, tailor your CV and covering letter to the needs of that specific employer.
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Try fast food places. They seem to take on a lot of students.
Reply 3
Are you going onto higher education or looking for something full time? Either way, the NHS is crying out for HCAs (Health Care Assistants) and loads of students in higher ed at uni are working as HCAs part time whilst they study - so you could look at your local NHS Trust, ring them up, send a letter in to the HR section etc etc.

If you are good with vulnerable people/children - care homes, nurseries and children's homes are really in need of care workers and support workers. Rather than looking at the huuuuuge sites (like Indeed - as the person above said) you actually might have a much better chance getting on facebook on your local town sites - where loads of these vacancies are advertised very fast.
I would also recommend applying through the actual company websites, rather than through Linkedln, indeed or others. Also improve your CV, I am pretty sure you can run your cv through online websites, which can give you very useful feedback as many companies use Applicant tracking system nowadays. So they run it through the system and only if your cv passes it through, then it can go into shortlisting. If you want to do something local, go into the actual shops and ask instead. Also attend as many networking events as possible, so you can meet lots of people, who can give advice and job recommendations. Also in the mean time, volunteer because its still some extra experience that can go on to your CV, furthering your chances for actual job.
Reply 5
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Hey, try job agencies, they are always looking for workers.

Maybe waiter, catering staff, porter, attendant work
Restaurants
Fast food places
Retail stores
Where's the best place to look online if you don't have much experience?
any particular websites?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending