The Student Room Group

deleted

……
(edited 8 months ago)
Meaningless except for investment banking or management consulting degrees.

You don't need the kind of mathematical background you get in a data science degree to go into marketing...

Do a degree you actually want to study for the sake of itself.
(edited 9 months ago)
Psychology degree's are BPS accredited. Completely irrelevant where you study it. The latter point is true for the majority of courses.
Original post by artful_lounger
Meaningless except for investment banking or management consulting degrees.

You don't need the kind of mathematical background you get in a data science degree to go into marketing...

Do a degree you actually want to study for the sake of itself.

I partially agree, for Corporate Finance/Law and Research roles it matters a lot.

However I would absolutely disagree its meaningless outside of these, employers like big name universities (with good reason usually). It is a permanent mark on your CV that you are most likely hard working and pretty intelligent. This gives you advantage down the line that if you want to transfer your skillset outside of your chosen degree you'll get the benefit of the doubt.

The same cannot be said the otherway around
Original post by SparklesDude1112

However I would absolutely disagree its meaningless outside of these, employers like big name universities (with good reason usually). It is a permanent mark on your CV that you are most likely hard working and pretty intelligent. This gives you advantage down the line that if you want to transfer your skillset outside of your chosen degree you'll get the benefit of the doubt.

This is not true. Outside of investment banking and management consulting, the vast majority of large businesses do not care where you studied your degree. The degree is a tick box, they want to see you have a degree at 2:1 or above, and after that point they assess other factors. The days of having XYZ on your CV guaranteeding you an interview are gone, as now pre-interview sorting often is done with the use of psychometric testing and assessment centres.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending