The Student Room Group

Lost and scared

Lately, I've been feeling really lost in life: I've finished high school this year with great marks that enable me to enter whether medicine (in my hometown) or dentistry (not in my town, I'll have to move out to another city far away from home). Personally, I've always wanted to study dentistry over medicine, I don't know why but I felt that being a dentist would make me happy and I would really enjoy it. I'm a sensitive person, so I would struggle a loooot seeing people in hospitals who don't feel okay and it would also affect me emotionally. I just want to improve people's lives and make them smile!!!
So, in my options I put first dentistry and, although I knew that I would have to move out to another city, me of the past thought that I'd be okay.
So, now, I've been given a place to dentistry which means that I'll have to be living away from home for 5 years...
Also, I do not consider myself a hanging out person, I prefer to stay in my bubble, in my room, studying or reading and not going out. I've always lived in a small town and thinking that in less than two months I'll have to leave my family and live alone in a huuuuge city really gives me goosebumps. I'm scared. I don't know what to do. I don't want to make the wrong choice and spend a year in an environment that I'm not used to. However, I know that if I choose to do medicine and stay at home for the next 6 years or more, I won't be happy because that's not what I want to study. But what if I choose to move out and I regret of not having stayed at home? Or, what if I choose staying at home but I regret not choosing what I wanted to study? Now, I'm in a situation where I don't know what to do, I'm scared of going to big cities and thinking that I'll have to stay in a Student House surrounded by so many people that I don't even know...I'd appreciate someone's piece of advice, I just cannot think now clearly, really overwhelmed...
(edited 9 months ago)
My advice would be to visit the city you will be staying in and familiarise yourself with the area. Perhaps book a hotel and stay for a weekend by yourself to ease yourself into it. I'm sure you'll be fine and everyone will be having simular thoughts. The important thing is to do what makes you happy as you'll end up doing either medicine or dentistry for a long period of time. Good luck.
Reply 2
Sorry to hear you are feeling that way, it can be quite nerve-racking! I would recommend contacting the university for dentistry and see if you can take their lectures online since I know of some people who take their lectures online (not for specifically for dentistry but other subjects). Another thing, have this conversation with people who have you best interest at heart and perhaps they can guide you best. Also, if you know that in the long run you will be happier taking dentistry then it would make more sense to choose that, you don't want to live with the regret of not doing the subject you love but of course that is for you to decide. I also agree with the comment above- familiarise yourself with the area and perhaps take your loved ones with you so you can feel more at ease!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by CDJLSDCJSDNH
Lately, I've been feeling really lost in life: I've finished high school this year with great marks that enable me to enter whether medicine (in my hometown) or dentistry (not in my town, I'll have to move out to another city far away from home). Personally, I've always wanted to study dentistry over medicine, I don't know why but I felt that being a dentist would make me happy and I would really enjoy it. I'm a sensitive person, so I would struggle a loooot seeing people in hospitals who don't feel okay and it would also affect me emotionally. I just want to improve people's lives and make them smile!!!
So, in my options I put first dentistry and, although I knew that I would have to move out to another city, me of the past thought that I'd be okay.
So, now, I've been given a place to dentistry which means that I'll have to be living away from home for 5 years...
Also, I do not consider myself a hanging out person, I prefer to stay in my bubble, in my room, studying or reading and not going out. I've always lived in a small town and thinking that in less than two months I'll have to leave my family and live alone in a huuuuge city really gives me goosebumps. I'm scared. I don't know what to do. I don't want to make the wrong choice and spend a year in an environment that I'm not used to. However, I know that if I choose to do medicine and stay at home for the next 6 years or more, I won't be happy because that's not what I want to study. But what if I choose to move out and I regret of not having stayed at home? Or, what if I choose staying at home but I regret not choosing what I wanted to study? Now, I'm in a situation where I don't know what to do, I'm scared of going to big cities and thinking that I'll have to stay in a Student House surrounded by so many people that I don't even know...I'd appreciate someone's piece of advice, I just cannot think now clearly, really overwhelmed...

@CDJLSDCJSDNH

"I just want to improve people's lives and make them smile!!!" Love it! :thumbsup:

University is a time for growth. It is a time where you grow as a person because of the new circumstances and challenges that you face.
You might feel like staying at home is the safer option, but you will still have to deal with meeting new people, studying a new course, and being a university student. In the long-term, 'playing it safe' is not going to help you overcome your fears and grow as a person. All being well, you want to leave university as a more confident and knowledgeable person and to do that you need to embrace change!

You are going to be studying for a long time, so it's better to study something that you are interested in.

There will be lots of students moving away for the first time who will have similar concerns and fears. A big city might feel daunting at first, but you might really grow to love the place and meet some fantastic people : )

As a student, you don't have to join in with all the social activities. If you want to stay in your room, you can, but getting to know people and making friends can help you feel more at home in a new place, so it's good to try to make conversation with new people even if it's just,' What's your name? Where are you from? What are you studying?

It's perfectly normal to feel nervous before going to university. It is perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed by change. If there are other people in your family who have gone to a university, talk to them about their experiences. It is likely they will have felt some of the same emotions. Talk to friends who are also starting university this year. It is likely that you are all feeling the same.

Don't panic!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by CDJLSDCJSDNH

Hello,
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University.
I completely understand where you're coming from, and this change would make anybody feel anxious, so you're not alone on that front. There's a few things that I recommend you doing in order to get a feel for the place you'd be living if you do decide to pressure your ambition of dentistry.
*Visit the city, either alone or with your family, if you are familiar with your surrounding you may find it easier to consider what you can do and what is available for you. I believe that the chance to get familiar would be extremely beneficial for you.
*I'd also consider joining a group which allows other students who are going through a similar situation as you could connect and share your thought and your feelings, this would be a great way to ground yourself and remind yourself that you're not alone!
*I'd also recommend trying to think of the long term impact that this decision is going to have on your life, because lets face it, you're not going to know how you're going to cope with the situation until you're there, give yourself some time and you may surprise yourself! If you prefer dentistry, and feel that medicine may have a negative impact on your mental well-being in the future, maybe this is just a case of listening to your heart, and taking the leap.

I understand it is easy for me to sit here and write this list, however I was in a similar situation as you, but you'd be surprised on how much you can adapt when needed! I believe you'll make the right choice for you!

Best of luck,
Courtney H
Reply 5
Thank you for your words, I really appreciate you! Yesterday we decided to go with my family and spend the whole day in the city so that I can start getting used to it. Hopefully and if God willing I'll take the leap :smile:
Reply 6
If it helps, as someone who for most of their life could not fathom how they’d cope moving away and starting uni in an unfamiliar city, three years later at the end of my undergrad i have found myself loving it. It is really scary to start with but you will make friends with likeminded people, get into your course, maybe discover new interests and hobbies and ultimately really appreciate the freedom and autonomy that goes with it. Being anxious about this sort of thing is completely normal, but you shouldn’t let it stop you doing it. It sounds like doing dentistry is what you really want so don’t let fear hold you back. I won’t lie, it won’t magically be okay overnight once you’ve moved, I certainly found uni very hard at first but I am so glad I kept going, and didn’t go home, and it was so worth it in the end.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by eeeli
If it helps, as someone who for most of their life could not fathom how they’d cope moving away and starting uni in an unfamiliar city, three years later at the end of my undergrad i have found myself loving it. It is really scary to start with but you will make friends with likeminded people, get into your course, maybe discover new interests and hobbies and ultimately really appreciate the freedom and autonomy that goes with it. Being anxious about this sort of thing is completely normal, but you shouldn’t let it stop you doing it. It sounds like doing dentistry is what you really want so don’t let fear hold you back. I won’t lie, it won’t magically be okay overnight once you’ve moved, I certainly found uni very hard at first but I am so glad I kept going, and didn’t go home, and it was so worth it in the end.

That sounds great, thank you for sharing your experience. Really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending