The Student Room Group

Feel nervous on what future beholds I'm 3 year business student .

Hi, I'm 3rd year business student, i am a shy, nervous lack confidence (not important info but people think I'm a child because of my childlike face and 4'11 height) I feel like because of my nervous, anxious, self doubting characterstics I won't find a job I enjoy and employers won't take me seriously . As uni is ending I'm scared of what my future will look like. I have been working full time as a Call agent within HMRC (working from home) . I'm scared of not being good enough at a job, but I really want to secure my future and do something with myself. I have been looking at civil service fast stream but don't know where to start. Has anyone else felt a bit clueless when finishing uni and scared of future.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm 3rd year business student, i am a shy, nervous lack confidence (not important info but people think I'm a child because of my childlike face and 4'11 height) I feel like because of my nervous, anxious, self doubting characterstics I won't find a job I enjoy and employers won't take me seriously . As uni is ending I'm scared of what my future will look like. I have been working full time as a Call agent within HMRC (working from home) . I'm scared of not being good enough at a job, but I really want to secure my future and do something with myself. I have been looking at civil service fast stream but don't know where to start. Has anyone else felt a bit clueless when finishing uni and scared of future.

Hey there! I can definitely relate; leaving university felt like a really big scary milestone for me. It's great you've already got a good full time job as that gives you lots of breathing space and time to figure things out. I worked full time in a customer service role while I was interviewing and that helped a lot as it took some pressure off.

While it can feel scary and daunting, everything always works out in the end. I'm a big believer that what's for you won't go by you, and everything you're doing right now is preparing you for success in the future. Your degree has taught you so much, and your experiences alongside that are what set you apart from others. You might not get where you need to be straight away (the amount of job applications I can remember filling out as a graduate was *wild*) but even the rejections will be worth it in the end and teach you something.

We can be so hard on ourselves going in to the world of work and there's a lot of pressure to find the perfect job instantly - but take your time, and when you're heading to interviews or filling out job applications remind yourself of all the fantastic things you bring to the table. You'll be full of great skills and qualities and keep telling yourself "They'll be lucky to have me" :smile: It took me probably about a year after graduating to find the right fit, and the route I took wasn't what I thought, but it all worked out in the end for the right reasons.

I think there's a thread on TSR around applying to the Civil Service's fast stream somewhere so you could dip in and out of there for help with applying and to chat to anyone in the same boat :five: Equally maybe you could chat to your uni's careers service too?

Wishing you lots of luck!!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Thank you for this message, it can honestly feel like your alone when you compare yourself to others who seem confident and know what they are doing whilst I feel very lost. I will definitely have a look at the civil service fast stream it seems good as your still learning and not put in the deep end.
But thank you for this 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending