The Student Room Group

Sister wants to claim universal credit but mum won't allow her

Basically, out of 3 my mums daughters, 2 of us have run away from home at separate times, my only sister that's left in the "family" home with our mum has just finished her level 3 performing arts qualification at college and is 19 years old, and has wanted to leave but won't do it without money and so wants to claim universal credit, however our mum is saying she won't let her, and won't take her off her universal credit until she gets another job, (she had one but quit due to a dispute with the shop owner), our mum doesn't put any of that money specifically towards our sister, and she's basically trapping her from getting any financial help, and I was wondering if she can just open a claim anyway, because our mum has told her that until she stops claiming for her that she can't open her own claim for the money to go to her and is using that to try control her and I just want to know if it's true or what she can do so that she can access it.
Reply 1
Best thing is for your sister to make some enquiries about claiming UC and explain the situation. I would say it's a change in circumstances anyway, if she's finished in education, which your mum would need to declare.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Best thing is for your sister to make some enquiries about claiming UC and explain the situation. I would say it's a change in circumstances anyway, if she's finished in education, which your mum would need to declare.

Our mum is very unlikely to update it if it means she may have less money, and how can she make an inquiry without making an application?
Reply 3
If your sister moved out and claims universal credit she would be completely justified in doing so. It would be up to your Mum to update her circumstances, and if she didn’t the only person to be held responsible for the fraud would be her.
Reply 4
Original post by nattyyy
Our mum is very unlikely to update it if it means she may have less money, and how can she make an inquiry without making an application?

Make a phone call or go in person and ask. You don't have to start an application to see what you're entitled to.
Reply 5
Original post by nattyyy
Basically, out of 3 my mums daughters, 2 of us have run away from home at separate times, my only sister that's left in the "family" home with our mum has just finished her level 3 performing arts qualification at college and is 19 years old, and has wanted to leave but won't do it without money and so wants to claim universal credit, however our mum is saying she won't let her, and won't take her off her universal credit until she gets another job, (she had one but quit due to a dispute with the shop owner), our mum doesn't put any of that money specifically towards our sister, and she's basically trapping her from getting any financial help, and I was wondering if she can just open a claim anyway, because our mum has told her that until she stops claiming for her that she can't open her own claim for the money to go to her and is using that to try control her and I just want to know if it's true or what she can do so that she can access it.

Sounds awful! I don't have any input but your sister is in my prayers.
Original post by nattyyy

Whether your mum likes it or not, your sister is now and adult and is entitled to make her own claim. Just tell her to go to the job centre and get advice there about the situation.

Unless you or one of her other siblings could put her up until she’s sorted? Just wait until mum is out and just move out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending