The Student Room Group

Accounting at uni or an apprenticeship

Hi guys,
Just want some advice as a year 13 who’s just finished a levels. Is it better to do accounting at a firm as an apprentice or do it at uni? I don’t really know at the moment so I do want to hear other peoples view on the point. Or should I just try out uni for the sake of it. Tbh I don’t really know if I want to be an accountant buts it the only thing I’m considering really but please let me know
Reply 1
Original post by Maahi Rahman
Hi guys,
Just want some advice as a year 13 who’s just finished a levels. Is it better to do accounting at a firm as an apprentice or do it at uni? I don’t really know at the moment so I do want to hear other peoples view on the point. Or should I just try out uni for the sake of it. Tbh I don’t really know if I want to be an accountant buts it the only thing I’m considering really but please let me know

If you’re really set on being an accountant, then I’d recommend doing it at a firm. Apprenticeships allow you to get paid and what you learn can be put into practice.

if you’re unsure, I’d recommend uni as it will give you time to think about what you want to do and during your time at uni, you can apply to internships and insight days so you have a good image of what you want to do. Doing this helps you when you finish uni so you kind of know exactly what you want. (Im unsure if at the firm that offers you an apprenticeship they will give you the freedom to see other sectors but I know internships allow you to do so).

Personally, I went to uni because I wanted some freedom that I wouldn’t have been able to get if I was at home doing an apprenticeship. I learnt how to grow and do things for myself that I wouldn’t have been able to do with my family around but it differs from person to person honestly. Also, I was like you. I wanted to do accountancy but I was still unsure and I wanted to see what else I wanted to do. But now, I’m sure I want to follow the accountancy route but I do have to finish my degree (but it’s worth it so now I’m fully sure)🥲.

I hope this helps! And please update on what you go for!
Reply 2
Thank you! Will do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending