The Student Room Group

international qualifications

i’m a prospective student from the US for 2024 admissions to the course history & politics at oxford. the course’s international requirements are either 4 APs at grade 5 or 3 APs at grade 5 with a SAT score at 1460. to meet the requirements for admissions, do these scores have to be obtained prior to the submission of the UCAS application? for example, if I haven’t taken the SAT and I have 3 APs at grade 5 at the end of junior year, but still have 5 AP tests left to complete at the end of my senior year, can I meet the entry requirements with a score of 5 on one of these tests, or will I require the SAT in order to apply? will this put me at a disadvantage compared to people who may have more APs at grade 5?

appreciate any help i can get!
Reply 1
Original post by ananas01
i’m a prospective student from the US for 2024 admissions to the course history & politics at oxford. the course’s international requirements are either 4 APs at grade 5 or 3 APs at grade 5 with a SAT score at 1460. to meet the requirements for admissions, do these scores have to be obtained prior to the submission of the UCAS application? for example, if I haven’t taken the SAT and I have 3 APs at grade 5 at the end of junior year, but still have 5 AP tests left to complete at the end of my senior year, can I meet the entry requirements with a score of 5 on one of these tests, or will I require the SAT in order to apply? will this put me at a disadvantage compared to people who may have more APs at grade 5?

Most UK students don’t have their grades when they apply so that an offer made by the university is conditional on them achieving the grades before the course starts. I imagine that this would be the same for you.
Reply 2
Original post by ananas01

Hello. Our daughter just went through this process as an American applicant for History. Here's what I would say to your questions. No, you do not need to have your AP and SAT scores in hand before applying. You have already met the AP requirement. Now you need either one more 5 on an AP, or else SAT of 1460 or ACT of 31. We watched the info Zoom sessions that Oxford puts on (very helpful), and they insist that you do not need to have more than the required AAA quals. Nor, they said, is it of any real benefit to markedly exceed the minimum. Our daughter was delighted to be admitted. We all found the process fair and quite transparent decidedly more so than the black box of "holistic assessment", irrelevant extracurriculars, and silly personal statements (that don't speak to your passion for the course you've chosen) which at present so dominate American university admissions. Here's wishing you the best of luck in the process!
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending