The Student Room Group

I am an unpaid carer and about to be a full time uni student

Hello,
I am an unpaid carer for my parent who is a single parent. It is just me and my parent and because she's sick she is unable to work which has took a toll on our living circumstance I have been trying to get a part time job but it is extremely difficult especially how it is a popular time. Realising that I am also caring for my mother who has mobility issues and which requires me to do the household shopping, cleaning etc... This means that my time is practically used upon taking care of everyone so I cant really get a job either unless I manage my time really well however, that isnt the main issue - I was wondering as I am about to be a full time university student after the completion of my a levels is there genuinely any form of way to get a form of allowance for taking care of my parent as I know that once I start university there is no way I can be multitasking university life as well as caring and on top of working in order to make sure the household is up and running. I have checked on carers allowance but I dont meet the eligibility criteria due to being in education so, does anyone else know any other form of funding/allowance/benefit that I could get?
This has been on my mind everyday about how unfortunate circumstances can lead up to draining my mental health - honestly, Indeed is a scam when it comes to finding jobs :frown:...
Sorry to hear about your difficult situation, this is obviously very taxing emotionally, financially and in terms of the impact on your future.

I think the first thing you should do is speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau, they will assess your situation completely and help identify what suppourt you and your parent are eligible for and can give you the relevant phone numbers to follow up. This is a really good first point of contact.

Following their advice, I would say it's important you make sure you have access to the suppourt available for someone in your difficult position. This means that you need to look around and ensure that:

1) Your parent is receiving the maximum financial suppourt that they are entitled to, if you don't know where to start that's okay I would suggest calling/ or visiting your local council helpline and asking for their benefits/universal credit team/PIP team etc get the signposting and follow up with the relevant department. So you can discuss the situation with them and figure out what financial and more importantly social care your parent may be entitled to given their current circumstances.

2) You as a carer are recognised as such and are supported in the appropriate manner, again discuss this all with the team in your local council. You have mentioned that you are not eligible for Carers allowance then ask what alternatives there are for that, e.g. Can someone come in and look after my parent whilst I am away etc. And make sure you mention that you are a prospective university student so going forward the time and care you can offer your parent will be even more limited.

As for Student Finance I believe there is a component which student carers are entitled to or at least given an increased maintenance loan, but you will need to contact SFE about that and ask in much more detail as I have little knowledge on that.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/individual-needs/students-caring-responsibilities

I hope that helps or at least provides some reassurance. Wish you and your parent all the best in this rather testing time for you both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending