The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Contextual offers

Why does UCL only classify you as a young carer if you look after your parents/guardian? I am young carer for my sibling yet it doesn't matter to them. This means I can’t receive a contextual offers when all my other unis have taken it into account
Original post by Anonymous
Why does UCL only classify you as a young carer if you look after your parents/guardian? I am young carer for my sibling yet it doesn't matter to them. This means I can’t receive a contextual offers when all my other unis have taken it into account

It is strange isn't it? Their web site (here) says:

"UCL’s definition of a young carer is someone who whose life is adversely affected by providing substantial unpaid care for a family member that they live with and who is unable to manage without this support."

So, by that definition, you are a young carer. But that's not the definition they use when deciding to make contextual offers, as they go on to say on the same page:

"Access UCL is our contextual offer scheme for applicants from some groups that are underrepresented at UCL.
For Access UCL eligibility purposes, we define a young carer as someone whose life is adversely affected by providing substantial care for a parent/guardian that they live with and who has a chronic illness or condition."

So what's the point in having two definitions? I'm as confused as you are.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I suppose they might argue that the parents might be providing a more substantive amount of care than the sibling.

Obviously not true in all cases, but can at least understand the logic.

Unis do use different criteria, so it’s not unusual to be eligible for contextual offers at some but not others.
Reply 3
Yeah but every situation with young careers is different. In my situation although my parents do more of the care, the emotional and physical impact it has on you it just as impacting. Also something most people don’t have this experience.
Yeah but every situation with young careers is different. In my situation although my parents do more of the care, the emotional and physical impact it has on you it just as impacting. Also something most people don’t have this experience.

All true, but they can't consider case by case situations because they need to apply the same criteria to all applicants. I appreciate that's it's a PITA but I'm just saying it's not unusual to be assessed as contextual at one uni but not another.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
I think you should still go through with it and give the evidence to verify you are give your statement because your still considered a young carer so they might take that into account even though it’s your sibling because it doesn’t make sense for them to just not take any of it into account
Original post by sayema05
I think you should still go through with it and give the evidence to verify you are give your statement because your still considered a young carer so they might take that into account even though it’s your sibling because it doesn’t make sense for them to just not take any of it into account

They can’t issue contextual offers on a case by case basis though. They have to be fair and consistent with what they are doing. Especially mid-cycle.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
They can’t issue contextual offers on a case by case basis though. They have to be fair and consistent with what they are doing. Especially mid-cycle.
I understand what you’re saying however I am registered as a young carer in my borough and receive help through their service, which should be enough for UCL
I understand what you’re saying however I am registered as a young carer in my borough and receive help through their service, which should be enough for UCL

All you can do is provide the info, but as above it doesn't seem to fall under the specific crieria they use for contextual offers, (either that, or the info on that page is incorrect).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending