The Student Room Group

Still thinking about what somebody said, how do I make it stop

Ok, so at the beginning of my first year of University, I made a 'friend' who was actually very fake and a narcissist. During our short-lived 'friendship' she said many things to me that were very hurtful and made me feel like a pile of sh** and unworthy. Let's just say that my first 2 years of uni were terrible due to her intentionally highlighting and posing negative comments about my insecurities. Well, I haven't spoken to her in almost a year but we have mutual friends so it's kind of hard to avoid her. And when we do briefly speak she always has a negative thing to say to me about my acne, my style, how much I eat etc.

Well, all these comments had a detrimental impact on my first and second year of the University (mainly first not so much second). To be honest, because of her comments, I spent thousands to change my hair, and style, workouts and diet and on Accutane and laser for my acne.

The only reason I spent so much on this was so that I could become more confident in myself and hopefully no one in the future can ever make me feel this way again.

Ok, so my issue is I still think about everything she said to me that brought me down. I find it very hard to concentrate while I'm studying or just when I'm on my own all the negative remarks come back to me. I only have one more year left at uni and don't want this to stop me from achieving my full potential like it already has.

I can't exactly avoid her or her negative comments so if anyone has any tips on how I can cope with this would be great. haha just need to make it through one more year and hopefully ill never have to see her again and I'll be able to block her off completely.
Have you discussed this with a therapist? Being able to talk it out with a professional might help.

A tactic I'm fond of (and honestly one a therapist would likely recommend) is writing a letter that consists of everything you want to say to this person - but don't send it. I did this with my ex instead of going back to fight with her. It helped a lot.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending