The Student Room Group
Cranfield University
Cranfield

PhD application status

I applied for PhD on 27th june. I submitted all the docs except for my IELTS test report, which was scheduled for 9th july. Received the IELTS result on 12th july which I uploaded on the eve portal. I havent heard anything from admin yet. PhD programme start date is supposed to be in sep,2023. What is the approximate decision timeline? Does no response mean’s unsuccessful application? I’ve also sent a mail to admin to ask about the applications status, but didnt get any response(mail sent on 19th july).
Original post by Anonymous
I applied for PhD on 27th june. I submitted all the docs except for my IELTS test report, which was scheduled for 9th july. Received the IELTS result on 12th july which I uploaded on the eve portal. I havent heard anything from admin yet. PhD programme start date is supposed to be in sep,2023. What is the approximate decision timeline? Does no response mean’s unsuccessful application? I’ve also sent a mail to admin to ask about the applications status, but didnt get any response(mail sent on 19th july).

What is your nationality (non UK I assume from the IELTS) and were you applying to a specific project, a CDT or was this a "general" application to a research area ? Did you discuss projects and funding with a specific supervisor ? These will all factor into the process and your chance of success, and its also important to note that most PhD funding will have already been allocated by now for a Sept-Oct 2023 start date.
(edited 9 months ago)
Cranfield University
Cranfield
Hi!

Very good to hear you want to study PhD with Cranfield university :smile:
You did the first step and that is important. I would also recommend to contact the PhD course supervisor(s), introduce yourself and show your deep interest in the field, and give reasons why you are the best suitable person for your chosen course.

To react to Mr Wednesday's post: In my case, the decision was made 10 days before my course started including funding allocation, and my course started on 25/9.

You still have chances, just try to contact the supervisors and I would also recommend contacting the admissions team by phone, because usually they receive plenty emails every day and by calling them, you can speed up the process.

Good luck with your application and please contact us if you need any further help :smile:

Lucie,
1st year PhD,
Student Ambassador
Cranfield University
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Wednesday
What is your nationality (non UK I assume from the IELTS) and were you applying to a specific project, a CDT or was this a "general" application to a research area ? Did you discuss projects and funding with a specific supervisor ? These will all factor into the process and your chance of success, and its also important to note that most PhD funding will have already been allocated by now for a Sept-Oct 2023 start date.

Hi. Thanks for your response.

I applied in response to the PhD posting from Cranfield. It is a funded project and I filled out the online application form. I got the response from admin yesterday. They said that the committee hasnt made a decision yet, and all the applicants will be informed once the decision has been made.
Reply 4
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi!

Very good to hear you want to study PhD with Cranfield university :smile:
You did the first step and that is important. I would also recommend to contact the PhD course supervisor(s), introduce yourself and show your deep interest in the field, and give reasons why you are the best suitable person for your chosen course.

To react to Mr Wednesday's post: In my case, the decision was made 10 days before my course started including funding allocation, and my course started on 25/9.

You still have chances, just try to contact the supervisors and I would also recommend contacting the admissions team by phone, because usually they receive plenty emails every day and by calling them, you can speed up the process.

Good luck with your application and please contact us if you need any further help :smile:

Lucie,
1st year PhD,
Student Ambassador
Cranfield University

Hi Lucie.
Thanks a lot for your response.
I applied by filling an online application form, link of which was mentioned in the PhD posting published by Cranfield. Last day to apply was 5th july.(it is a funded project )
I also emailed admin last week and they replied yesterday saying that the committee hasnt made any decision yet, posting has received many high quality applications and they will let the applicants know when a decision is made.
Getting anxious as i wait for the results.
Hi,

thank you for response.
In this case, I wish you good luck with your application and you are free to share the results with us here once you get to know it :smile: I can imagine it is not easy to wait that long for something so important for you. I hope you will get your decision as soon as possible.

Lucie,
1st year PhD,
Student Ambassador
Cranfield University
Reply 6

Hey, have you received an update on your application yet? I’ve also applied for an advertised funded PhD 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything since. This one has a start date in October, so I was expecting a quick turn around
Reply 7
Original post by wolfbat
Hey, have you received an update on your application yet? I’ve also applied for an advertised funded PhD 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything since. This one has a start date in October, so I was expecting a quick turn around

Hello,
I still havent received any update. The course i applied to is supposed to be starting in sep, but still no results yet.
Please do let me know if you hear back from the uni.
Thanks!!
Reply 8
Hello,
I still havent received any update. The course i applied to is supposed to be starting in sep, but still no results yet.
Thanks!!

That’s so strange! I’ve actually emailed the supervisor of the project and they said that the candidate selection process is being delayed. So maybe the same thing is happening with your project!
Hello,
Thanks!!

Hi both,

I’m so sorry to hear that you have been having delays hearing back about your applications.

As @wolfbat said, the candidate selection process can unfortunately get delayed sometimes. This can be for a huge variety of reasons, and the majority of them do not reflect on the quality of the candidates. It can be that someone on the selection team is on annual leave (which is quite common in August), or is taking bereavement or sick leave. It can also be delays on the side of industry partners, or funding bodies, where the financial side of the project still needs to be confirmed this is something that is just out of your supervisors hands, and I have seen many who follow up regularly and still experience delays because other companies are experiencing busy periods. None of this reflects on you as a student, and as hard as it is and how nerve wracking, unfortunately there is not much you can do since the supervisor has already got back to you.

For taught courses, I would recommend contacting the course director (their contact details can usually be found on the course page on the Cranfield website, please let me know if you need help finding their email address!). Even if they cannot give you an answer on whether your application has been successful, they may be able to give an estimate of the time needed to get back to you, or follow up with the admissions team on your behalf.

Hoping you both hear back soon with positive outcomes!
And of course, keep engaging with the Cranfield TSR community for advice and help with finding accommodation, what to do in Cranfield once you arrive, and all other aspect of life as a Cranfield student 😊
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Reply 10
Hello,
Did you get your results yet? Any updates?

Original post by wolfbat
That’s so strange! I’ve actually emailed the supervisor of the project and they said that the candidate selection process is being delayed. So maybe the same thing is happening with your project!
Reply 11
Hello,
Did you get your results yet? Any updates?

hey! nope, not heard anything at all. application status is still pending on the portal. i want to email admissions to be honest, and just ask when i could
expect to hear back.
what about you? any news?
Reply 12
Original post by wolfbat
hey! nope, not heard anything at all. application status is still pending on the portal. i want to email admissions to be honest, and just ask when i could
expect to hear back.
what about you? any news?

Hi,
I also didnt get the results. Emailed admin last week and they replied that decision hasnt been made. Didnt say anything about when the results might come through.
Hopefully you get better clarity than this.
Reply 13
Hi,
I also didnt get the results. Emailed admin last week and they replied that decision hasnt been made. Didnt say anything about when the results might come through.
Hopefully you get better clarity than this.

Yeah, I’ll let you know what they say. I’m wondering if they’re gonna push it back to January intake now…
Reply 14
Original post by wolfbat
Yeah, I’ll let you know what they say. I’m wondering if they’re gonna push it back to January intake now…

Yes please. That would be great help.
Reply 15
Yes please. That would be great help.

Hey, I ended up emailing admissions and they forwarded my message to the supervisor anyway. And a day or two after that I got an official rejection email! A little bit confused whether this was a case of not updating the portal, or whether the project just didn’t go ahead, or what.

Have you had any updates?
Reply 16
Original post by wolfbat
Hey, I ended up emailing admissions and they forwarded my message to the supervisor anyway. And a day or two after that I got an official rejection email! A little bit confused whether this was a case of not updating the portal, or whether the project just didn’t go ahead, or what.

Have you had any updates?

Hello. I am sorry that you didnt hear better news. I also havent received any updates yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending