The Student Room Group

Does going to a Welsh University for undergrad hinder my chances for a PHD?

I was recently at a gathering and told a family friend about which university I am going to be studying at for undergrad. I told him I am going to be going to Cardiff University for French and Spanish. He is a teacher (not a lecturer/professor) at a university that is specifically catered to mature learners.

He told me that applying to PHD programmes in England would be much more difficult if my undergrad is at a Welsh Uni and proceeded to talk about something to do with difficulty in applying for funding.

I am planning on applying to PHDs in Canada and the US as well but I don’t want to limit where I can apply to in regards to English unis.

Does anyone here have any idea what he could have been referring to as he did not elaborate on this?

Reply 1
Original post by Confusionn
I was recently at a gathering and told a family friend about which university I am going to be studying at for undergrad. I told him I am going to be going to Cardiff University for French and Spanish. He is a teacher (not a lecturer/professor) at a university that is specifically catered to mature learners.

He told me that applying to PHD programmes in England would be much more difficult if my undergrad is at a Welsh Uni and proceeded to talk about something to do with difficulty in applying for funding.

I am planning on applying to PHDs in Canada and the US as well but I don’t want to limit where I can apply to in regards to English unis.

Does anyone here have any idea what he could have been referring to as he did not elaborate on this?

It's complete rubbish - I know several students who have been to Cardiff - one has a DPhil [Oxford] and others have PhDs.
Reply 2
As above, total tripe. Won't make any difference whatsoever.

Agree, that's complete nonsense, ignore them, they clearly know zip about university level education. Funding is difficult to get for anything, but Cardiff is a very strong university and stands up anywhere.
Sounds like that was his excuse for not getting onto the PhD he was interested in so he’s passing on the bs to keep his cover up
Reply 5
Do you think it could be because I’m not Welsh?

He did his undergraduate degree in accounting - as a mature (40s) learner - a few years ago at a university near Manchester similar in ranking to UCLAN. However, he doesn’t hold a post graduate degree. After his degree he went on to teach at the same university.

Do you think going to a Welsh university could affect applying for Masters degrees and/or PhD programs at top US and Canadian universities?

Thank you :-)

He did his undergraduate degree in accounting - as a mature (40s) learner - a few years ago at a university near Manchester similar in ranking to UCLAN. However, he doesn’t hold a post graduate degree. After his degree he went on to teach at the same university.

Do you think going to a Welsh university could affect applying for Masters degrees and/or PhD programs at top US and Canadian universities?

He just hasn't got a clue. Cardiff is a very strong university and if you do well you can be competitive anywhere. It will not hurt your profile anywhere.
As with everyone above - it’s nonsense.

PhD funding is typically more open then undergraduate funding (they open more doors to international applicants relative to undergraduate study) and Wales would still count as “home” status, and UK universities have very reputable status in both the UK & internationally.

No it's because your family friend is bitter about something and thinks putting down your education choices will compensate for that.

Ignore him he's a ******
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
No it's because your family friend is bitter about something and thinks putting down your education choices will compensate for that.

Ignore him he's a ******

Okay thank you. To be fair, he isn’t particularly a pleasant person so I could see this being the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending