The Student Room Group

bioengineering or chemical engineering?

Hello,
I am going into year 13 in September and wanted some advice on my UCAS application (non oxbridge so applying in January). There are two fields which interested me most out of anything else, and they correlate the most with my a levels (bio chem maths) which are bio(medical/materials) engineering, or chemical engineering. I am a bit more interested in bioengineering, but I am looking at reports that state employment in chemical engineering is much more stable and has a much higher pay. I was wondering if it's worth it applying to chemical engineering instead. There is also another factor of much more universities accepting me on a chemical engineering course than bioengineering, since a lot of bioengineering courses require physics which I stupidly decided not to take. Ive just been set on applying for bioengineering for a while now but I don't want to regret this decision. If anyone has absolutely opinions on this matter it would be very much appreciated.
Original post by alevelsarenotfun
Hello,
I am going into year 13 in September and wanted some advice on my UCAS application (non oxbridge so applying in January). There are two fields which interested me most out of anything else, and they correlate the most with my a levels (bio chem maths) which are bio(medical/materials) engineering, or chemical engineering. I am a bit more interested in bioengineering, but I am looking at reports that state employment in chemical engineering is much more stable and has a much higher pay. I was wondering if it's worth it applying to chemical engineering instead. There is also another factor of much more universities accepting me on a chemical engineering course than bioengineering, since a lot of bioengineering courses require physics which I stupidly decided not to take. Ive just been set on applying for bioengineering for a while now but I don't want to regret this decision. If anyone has absolutely opinions on this matter it would be very much appreciated.

Chemical engineering is about 70% maths, 20% physics, and 10% chemistry. Bio(medical) engineering tends to be similar (albeit with more emphasis on physics).

They are fundamentally engineering degrees, not bioscience or chemistry degrees. If your main interests are biology and/or chemistry then I wouldn't consider either a suitable option.

Quick Reply

Latest