The Student Room Group

Geography vs Politics alevel

Hi, i want to study economics/ accounting at uni and i'm not sure whether politics or geography would suit me better. Right now i have picked maths, economics and geography. Also will an AS level in religious studies be of any use? (one of my sixth forms require 4 subjects but dont offer politics :frown:
thanks xx
Original post by nitae
Hi, i want to study economics/ accounting at uni and i'm not sure whether politics or geography would suit me better. Right now i have picked maths, economics and geography. Also will an AS level in religious studies be of any use? (one of my sixth forms require 4 subjects but dont offer politics :frown:
thanks xx

Neither Politics nor Geography are particularly relevant to Economics / Accounting, so pick the one you think you'll get a better grade in.

Most universities will completely ignore AS grades (as most students won't have them, so to consider them would be unfair), so the AS level is Religious Studies is unlikely to be of any use.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Neither Politics nor Geography are particularly relevant to Economics / Accounting, so pick the one you think you'll get a better grade in.

Most universities will completely ignore AS grades (as most students won't have them, so to consider them would be unfair), so the AS level is Religious Studies is unlikely to be of any use.

thank you so much, i love geography and ive always got 9s but my sister says politics would be of more use and open more doors.
also, do you know if rs is hard if you haven't taken it at gcse?
Reply 3
Politics would be a great thing to study but won't be any better or worse than Geography for you, Do you like essay intensive subjects? Chosing RS would indicate so?
Original post by nitae
thank you so much, i love geography and ive always got 9s but my sister says politics would be of more use and open more doors.

I wonder what sort of doors she referring to? If she's thinking about applications to university, try looking at the entry requirements for some Economics / Accounting courses.

Original post by nitae
also, do you know if rs is hard if you haven't taken it at gcse?

I've no idea, I'm afraid.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Politics would be a great thing to study but won't be any better or worse than Geography for you, Do you like essay intensive subjects? Chosing RS would indicate so?

yeah i don't mind essay subjects, but i only chose rs because i had no other option.
Original post by nitae
thanks xx

Maths and Econ are good choices. I would go for the subject that you think you would enjoy better.

If it was me, i would choose Geography. Good luck
At Lancaster University, the entry requirements for Economics are AAB, with a B in Mathematics. This means you can take either politics or geography. The entry requirements do not mention any AS levels, so the AS level in religious studies would not be of any use.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest