The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds vs Loughborough university

I have been accepted for Economics & Geography at Leeds and Economics & Management at Loughborough. Wanting to firm one as they are both AAA. Any opinions on which is best??
Original post by rhoww
I have been accepted for Economics & Geography at Leeds and Economics & Management at Loughborough. Wanting to firm one as they are both AAA. Any opinions on which is best??

Hi @rhoww,

I have just responded to you on another thread, but I thought I'd post my response here to help others.

It's great to hear that you're thinking about studying at Loughborough and congratulations on your offers :smile:

I wanted to try and help you with your decision. First, I would recommend reviewing each of the course pages and taking a look at the module information on them to see if any stand out to you (you can see Loughborough's BSc Economics and Management course page here).

On Loughborough's course page, it may also be a good idea to visit the 'Your future career' section. This will give you an idea of what graduates have gone on to do. On this point, you can also view more information about the careers support offered at the institutions (information about Loughborough's Careers Network is here).

If you haven't already, it may be a good idea to visit the campuses too (here is more information about Loughborough's campus). You could see how you can visit Loughborough here or you could even view the virtual tour or campus map. When choosing a university, you should pick somewhere where you can see yourself living and being happy, so taking a look at both campuses is a good idea.

I would also look at the location of the universities (here's more information about Loughborough) as they are both in separate parts of the UK. For Loughborough, there are cities near to the campus that you can visit, such as Leicester and Nottingham, which are a short train ride away. You can also visit London in around an hour and a half by train.

Finally, I would also recommend looking at the extracurricular activities offered. You may know that you want to join a certain society or a sports club, so it's worth exploring these.

I hope this helps! I know that choosing a university can be tough and there can be other factors involved with making a decision. However, if you have any further questions you'd like to ask about Loughborough, feel free to get in touch.

- Lindsay
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by rhoww

Hi,
I’ve just finished my first year studying economics and geography at Leeds and couldn’t recommend the course more. The amount of choice you have from a range of optional modules in both econ and geog is great with so much variation. Plus the choice you have with the course only increases more after first year. Econ in first year is not too difficult especially if you did econ at alevel (though I didn’t and still found it okay). I’d recommend having an in-depth look at all optional modules you can choose for geography in first year on leed’s website and see of you like the sound of them. Also your econ modules are taught with the business school and geog modules with the geography school which I’ve liked as you meet so many more people from both schools. You also get a personal tutor which I’ve found useful to help settle into the course.

Obviously Leeds and Loughborough are very different unis but Leeds I’d say Leeds has a bit of everything. It’s almost like a campus university in the middle of a city which I’ve loved. The nightlife is great, but still quite a close community especially with the societies. Honestly can’t fault Leeds and the course. Good luck deciding!

Quick Reply

Latest