The Student Room Group

Where to live during internship?

Hey soo I study in Sheffield but a internship I applied for is in London and I’m curious if anyone knows any good places in London to live for the year that isn’t to expensive or do you think it would be easier to commute?
Hey @MarvelJJ!

The commute from Sheffield to London is obviously quite a long one - it's going to be over a two hour train ride at a minimum, and an even longer drive (3, maybe 4 hours depending where you're heading to in London). Apart from the burnout you'd likely feel after a few weeks on that schedule, the costs of commuting (petrol/train tickets) will also add up; so it really depends on the nature of your internship. If you're in a field where remote work is possible and your internship provider is willing to get on board, a commute might be feasible if you're only going into the office one or two days a week. If not, you'd be best to weigh up the average cost of London rent vs the expense of commuting and consider whether or not you'd have the discipline to stick to the latter.

In terms of good places to live in London that aren't too expensive, the further out you get, the cheaper it is. If you're willing to travel a bit everyday for cheaper rents, look at areas in Zones 5-6, such as Enfield, Sutton, Croydon and Barking. Greater London is less expensive than central London - but unfortunately, it will still probably be a bit pricier than Sheffield.

Is there any particular reason why you'd choose an internship based in London rather than one closer to you, or is it just something you'd like to pursue?

Eve (Kingston Rep).
Reply 2
Original post by username6745675
Hey soo I study in Sheffield but a internship I applied for is in London and I’m curious if anyone knows any good places in London to live for the year that isn’t to expensive or do you think it would be easier to commute?

I would find accommodation in London, whether through SpareRoom or groups on Facebook.
Maybe contact student accommodations or if you have family or friends that may let you stay over.
Would not recommend commuting esp considering the journey will be way over 60 minutes.
Original post by username6745675

Hi!

I think as others have said commuting would be difficult to do every day and take up a lot of your time! Spare Room is a great site to find shared housing in London. Maybe have a look to see if there are options that fall within your budget. It may be worth asking the company if they have any suggestions as they have probably had interns move to the city before. If there are multiple interns you also could look for housing together which may make the experience a bit easier!

I hope this helps! 🙂
Florence (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending