The Student Room Group

Uni Laundry Bag

Hi! I've been shopping for uni stuff and wondered is it worth buying a laundry bag? Or is it better to just use any bag for storing and then moving clothes. Also, will I need an airer?
Original post by misseuropa
Hi! I've been shopping for uni stuff and wondered is it worth buying a laundry bag? Or is it better to just use any bag for storing and then moving clothes. Also, will I need an airer?

Hi misseuropa,

I personally had a laundry bag/basket and most people I knew did as well. But I'd say if you have a different bag that does the job then it's completely find to use that. I chose a laundry bag because they're usually quite big and I'd accumulate lots of washing over a week, so it was good to have a designated place to store them until I washed them. Remember as well sometimes your room can be a bit of a walk from the laundry room, so having a laundry bag (or any bag) that's easy to carry would be helpful too.

I would recommend getting an airer. I'm not sure what your accommodation offers but for mine you had to pay to wash and dry your clothes. It was just more money efficient for me to let my clothes dry naturally than to pay for the dryer. The do good quality ones in Wilko!

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions then please don't hesitate to ask:smile:

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi!
I have just finished my first year of uni and I just used one of the large 'bags for life' type supermarket bags and kept it under my bed. I found this was easier to carry down to the washing machines. However, my flatmate had a washing basket with handles that was just as easy to carry and looked nicer in her room. So it's really up to you and how much space you have/if you want to buy one, but it's definitely not necessary.
I had an airer and I loved it because the washers and dryers were fairly expensive, but again its defiantly not necessary especially if you prefer to machine dry your clothes.
I hope this is helpful, feel free to reply with anymore questions.
Faye :smile:
Ikea bags are great for this because they're waterproof and wipe clean so you can use them for carrying dirty clothes to the laundry and clean back without any smells from the dirty laundry lingering and contaminating your clean clothes (and you can use them for transporting bedding or similar to and from uni too - dual purpose!)

Some university halls won't allow you to use an airer in your room because of condensation/ventilation issues - so while it might be good to save money it's worth hanging on and waiting to see if it's something you are able to use (and if so whether your flat want to pitch in and get one as a group that can be used in the kitchen instead of fogging up your bedroom)
Reply 4
I got a laundry bag that could be worn like a backpack and I love it. I think it was from Wilko. I would recommend similar types to anyone. It makes the chore so much easier and since it's easier, you're more likely to get it done. Most uni halls have those really large washing machines, and you waste money if you don't fill them properly so I tend to carry a lot of clothes at once. Carrying it across my back was easier than the usual way especially with the stairs. Also, I could stand it up like a proper laundry basket and shut it.
Large drawstring style laundry bag is really useful imo, especially if your in halls where you have to move a lot of clothes up & down flights of stairs... but just use what you have, an ikea or costco bag, a laundry basket, bag for life.

My halls gave my a free laundry bag (lots of halls give a little goody box on arrival at uni with some random stuff like this).

Hi @misseuropa,
A laundry bag can be useful but it doesn't need to be an expensive or fancy one. When I stayed in halls the washing machines were located in a separate building and everyone had a different method for transporting their washing. Some used a suitcase with wheels, some had a laundry basket and the majority used Ikea bags or bags for life. A laundry bag really comes down to carrying practicality.
An airier can defiantly be a useful purchase. One thing to bear in mind is that they can take up a fair bit of room so it is a good idea to get one that folds away when not in use and check you don't get one too big (so that when it is up it doesn't takes up all of the room) or too small (so that it fits a wash and not just a couple of tops).
Hope you have had fun shopping and getting excited for Uni. Catherine (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)

Hey @misseuropa
From personal experience, I think a laundry bag/basket is a great investment.
It is definitely worth buying it to help you organise your dirty clothes and separate them from clean ones. I would also suggest you get a basket instead of a bag so you can designate an area for it in your bathroom or bedroom.
You are most likely to not need an airer because uni accom rooms tend to be quite small in size and fitting an airer would be a task. Most people just use the dryers at their laundry rooms after using a washer. I would cost you an extra £2-3 per 2 weeks but it is worth as it saves you the hassle of fitting an airier in your room and your room smelling like wet clothes all the time. Keeping in mind that because of the cold weather your clothes are not likely to dry in less than 3-5 days.

I hope this gives you some guide.
Best of luck:smile:
Vyomika(LU Student Ambassador)
@misseuropa

You could use a large cheap plastic bag with a zip or a pillow case for dirty clothes, with another bag e.g. an IKEA bag for clean clothes.

I would suggest against drying your clothes in your room unless you really have to! It's nice to know that once you have dried your clothes in the laundry room that you are done! Of course, you have to think about cost, but generally you can dry most things altogether. It's only if you have clothes which absorb a lot of water e.g. denim jeans and towels where you might need to separate them to avoid them keeping your other clothes wet : ( You can do this by taking your jeans/towels out from the wash and placing them in a separate dryer to your other clothes or by drying your jeans/towels in your room with the help of radiators.

Check how much space you have in your room, how long a drying cycle is in the laundry room and how much it costs and think about how often you plan to do laundry.

You might opt to buy an airer, but it might be an idea to see how it goes first.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there

For the past 2 years of uni, I've just used the same IKEA bag that I brought on the first day. Also, I've not purchased an airer but they do make life easier - I just ask people to borrow theirs but it's better to have your own if you can.

All the best,

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi,

For me, I got a cheap Ikea laundry bag with a zip on the top and it worked wonders, I'm probably going to use it next year too. However, a lot of people would just grab a big bag for life from Sainsbury's and use that which is also fine. It's all really personal preference. The upside to getting one with a zip though is that you cant trip and spill your clothes everywhere which happened to my friend when it was icy out. But, if you have decent balance you'll be fine :smile:

Airers are great if you have the room. I brought one with me but couldn't fit it in my room with space to be able to move so never actually used it. I'd suggest waiting until you are there and if you think you have the space then grabbing one. They do save a lot of money because using the dryers is expensive.

Hope that helps a bit! If you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile:

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hey there @misseuropa !
A laundry bag would be an amazing thing to have at university. For first year especially, most student accommodations have Circuit Laundry which is a separate laundry room in the building rather than having them in the flats. A laundry bag would help you to transport things across without everyone seeing your dirty washing. It's also good for storing your dirty clothes in after you've worn them to make your room look tidier. Overall a laundry bag is very much worth having. I'd recommend getting one with handles so it's easier to transport rather than like a wicker box.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there @misseuropa, :smile:

I think having a laundry bag or basket is a great idea, I bought a cheap laundry basket when I started uni and found it useful in keeping my room tidy from dirty clothes. Having a laundry basket with handles did make it easier for me to carry my clothes to the washing machine. You can just get a cheap one online or at a local shop. An airer is a good idea too but like others have said if you don't have much space in your room it might be best getting a small one.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Hi there,
It's entirely up to you. I personally bought a laundry bag for uni but I saw other people in my accommodation get ones that had dividers for different washes which I thought was cool. Any bag really would do, so if you don't want this as an expense then something like an ikea shopping bag would work. Airer wise, I would recommend this personally but just be aware of condensation/ventilation.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending