The Student Room Group

How much do you spend per week at uni?

So far, my weekly spending is planned as follows:

Food: £30
Misc (clothes, makeup etc): £35
Memberships/subscriptions: £15
Going out: £50
Travel (bus, taxi etc): £10

I feel like £140 p/w is an obscene amount and want to get it down to £100 p/w.

How much is really needed for going out each week (for someone who doesn't drink, but enjoys clubbing and wants a good social life), and how much is needed for society/club memberships? I think I may be overestimating.
Reply 1
I am conscious that location should be factored in so I should mention, without being too specific, that the university is in the south, although the cost of living there isn't prohibitively expensive.
Reply 2
If you aren't much of a drinker; you can definitely bring your £50 going out budget down to £25/30; societies and clubs are paid annually, and it really depends on what you join; sports clubs are definitely more expensive than societies given that you have to pay for equiptment and uniforms; but general interest societies are rarely more than £5; with occassional optional outings you can pay for. Also consider your misc spending; it's definitely important to treat yourself regularly, but does it have to be new clothes and makeup every week? I usually gave myself one small weekly treat (i.e. a new nail polish or book), then once a month I'd get myself a bigger treat.
If you use public transport, perhaps getting an annual travel pass could help bring costs down too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending