The Student Room Group

I'm estranged (technically) but can I get my application accepted?

Hi

I'm studying a pre-registration MSc so I'm entitled to both tuition and maintenance loans. I'm going into my second and last year soon (it's a Jan-Jan course, started Jan 2023). Since starting my undergraduate degree (4 years ago), I've been very low contact with my mum as my whole life she's been physically and emotionally abusive but 9 months ago, just after starting my master's, it hit a point where, for the sake of my mental health, I officially went full no contact and blocked her on everything, blacklisted her number. I haven't seen or spoken to my dad in about 8+ years.

The problem is that recently I went to apply for my student loan again and I've realised I now have to put that I'm estranged from my parent. On the website it says a minimum of 12 months without any form of contact, and at the time of starting my second year, it will have been 11.5 months. As well as this, you have to "provide evidence" of estrangement by getting a "community respected third party" to fill in a form confirming and giving evidence of your estrangement. I don't have that. All I have is the message I sent my mum back in February and the fact that I've blocked her. No one except my close friends know, I don't speak to anyone else in my family. Even if I told one of my lecturers (a valid third party), they wouldn't be able to fill in the form as they don't have any evidence. I was going to contact my uni's estrangement team but they say you have to have been confirmed to be estranged by the SLC first so that's a dead end.

I just don't know what to do. If I can't prove my estrangement, I can't get my application approved. I don't have a job (I am looking) but even if I did, because of my course placement requirements (it's a healthcare course), for most weeks I can only work 2 days a week. I have no one else to rely on, so if this doesn't go through, I have to drop out.

Is there anything I can do? Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by MiaRiaTia
Hi

I'm studying a pre-registration MSc so I'm entitled to both tuition and maintenance loans. I'm going into my second and last year soon (it's a Jan-Jan course, started Jan 2023). Since starting my undergraduate degree (4 years ago), I've been very low contact with my mum as my whole life she's been physically and emotionally abusive but 9 months ago, just after starting my master's, it hit a point where, for the sake of my mental health, I officially went full no contact and blocked her on everything, blacklisted her number. I haven't seen or spoken to my dad in about 8+ years.

The problem is that recently I went to apply for my student loan again and I've realised I now have to put that I'm estranged from my parent. On the website it says a minimum of 12 months without any form of contact, and at the time of starting my second year, it will have been 11.5 months. As well as this, you have to "provide evidence" of estrangement by getting a "community respected third party" to fill in a form confirming and giving evidence of your estrangement. I don't have that. All I have is the message I sent my mum back in February and the fact that I've blocked her. No one except my close friends know, I don't speak to anyone else in my family. Even if I told one of my lecturers (a valid third party), they wouldn't be able to fill in the form as they don't have any evidence. I was going to contact my uni's estrangement team but they say you have to have been confirmed to be estranged by the SLC first so that's a dead end.

I just don't know what to do. If I can't prove my estrangement, I can't get my application approved. I don't have a job (I am looking) but even if I did, because of my course placement requirements (it's a healthcare course), for most weeks I can only work 2 days a week. I have no one else to rely on, so if this doesn't go through, I have to drop out.

Is there anything I can do? Does anyone have any advice?

Hi there, To be considered as Estranged we do require evidence you have mentioned. Your lecturers can complete the form to advise that they are aware of your situation confirm the following:

Their relationship to the student and the length of time they have known them

The reasons for the estrangement from both their parents and when this occurred

Current contact levels with both parents and if a reconciliation is likely

Their contact details should we need to contact them*

Each case is reviewed on a case by case basis.

Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending