The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Medical School

I'm in Year 11 about to start Year 12 and I'm volunteering and getting work experience for medicine but I don't really do extracurriculars like sports or music. Is there any point in me applying for medicine because I've heard that Newcastle values extracurriculars like that and I'm concerned that I don't have the ability to apply?
Original post by laraaaa123
I'm in Year 11 about to start Year 12 and I'm volunteering and getting work experience for medicine but I don't really do extracurriculars like sports or music. Is there any point in me applying for medicine because I've heard that Newcastle values extracurriculars like that and I'm concerned that I don't have the ability to apply?

Are you doing an EPQ? To appear a better candidate to universities you can do home experiment or do some free courses with OpenLearn (https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue). Hope this helps :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Hi Lara,

Our Medicine and Surgery Programme has a four stage application process.

1. Academic Screening
We first check all applications to make sure candidates fulfil the academic criteria for entry. This is typically AAA at A-level in any subject excluding General Studies, Use of Mathematics, World Development, Communication and Culture and Critical Thinking. If Applicants are taking Biology, Chemistry or Physics A Level, a pass in the practical element is required. Extended Project qualification's are not considered as part of the academic requirements. Once the academic criteria have been met, additional A Levels or A* results or additional GCSE results are not considered.

2. UCAT consideration
Applicants who meet the academic threshold are ranked based on their UCAT scores. A UCAT threshold is set depending on the number of interviews to be held. The UCAT threshold may differ from year to year as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those who apply to us in each admissions cycle.
UCAT thresholds from previous years can be found here: UCAT Thresholds.

3. Interview
Invitation to interview will be based on the ranking of UCAT scores. For "Home/EU" applicants the interview is normally structured to a Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format. This involves seven separate stations, where applicants meet different selectors to be assessed and graded on the following categories:

Integrity (honesty and probity)
Communication
Empathy and self-awareness
Motivation and commitment to be a doctor
Compatibility with the MBBS programme
Teamwork (including leadership)
Personal organisation
Persistence and resilience
Each station lasts for seven minutes with an extra two-minute ice breaker question in the first station. One of the stations involves a role-play scenario.

Interviews do not consider extracurriculars.

4. Making offers
After interview, we rank applicants in order of merit. This determines who will receive an offer. At this stage personal statements are considered, but not scored. References are also checked.

If you would like to know more about what our admissions team consider in the Medicine and Surgery Programme application process, you can find out further here.

I hope this helps :smile:

Lydia

You absolutely do have the ability to apply.
Ultimately whilst sport/music help for interview, so will things like the volunteering and work experience you're already doing - they want to see you are motivated, disciplined and can work as a team player; you're showing you are doing things outside of your studies too and volunteering and work experience give you some good scenarios to talk about in your interview.
I remember myself how easy it is to overthink and not focus on all the things you are doing! And ofc don't forget just your ucat score gets looked at to get you an interview at Newcastle! It is a lovely place to be!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending