The Student Room Group

[WALES] A question about one of my A-level choices.

I just finished my GCSEs.

I have no idea how I did yet. I'm going to get my results at the end of August. To do one of my A-levels, I need to get an English language grade of B.

25% of my grade relies on a presentation we were supposed to do. I applied to college pretty early, I was afraid that if I applied late, they would accept somebody else in my place, and therefore, I applied BEFORE I knew about the presentation. By the way I'm talking about it, you can tell I didn't do it. I have bad social anxiety that prevents me from being able to do things like this. I can't even talk to people I know sometimes.

I have a diagnosis that backs this up. It isn't a social anxiety diagnosis, but in the report it straight up says that social anxiety and selective mutism (the inability to speak in social settings) are main symptoms of mine for the diagnosis I do have.

If I got a grade as high as a C, do you think I (my parents) could ask the college to reconsider considering my situation? I find it genuinely unfair that I miss out on 25% of my grade, and therefore potentially ruining the plans I had for my future because of something outside of my control.

I feel like the college could see it this way too, but only if they are in charge of the decision, and not required to turn you down no matter what.

What do you think?
Reply 1
Original post by emnaaerymanlto
I just finished my GCSEs.

I have no idea how I did yet. I'm going to get my results at the end of August. To do one of my A-levels, I need to get an English language grade of B.

25% of my grade relies on a presentation we were supposed to do. I applied to college pretty early, I was afraid that if I applied late, they would accept somebody else in my place, and therefore, I applied BEFORE I knew about the presentation. By the way I'm talking about it, you can tell I didn't do it. I have bad social anxiety that prevents me from being able to do things like this. I can't even talk to people I know sometimes.

I have a diagnosis that backs this up. It isn't a social anxiety diagnosis, but in the report it straight up says that social anxiety and selective mutism (the inability to speak in social settings) are main symptoms of mine for the diagnosis I do have.

If I got a grade as high as a C, do you think I (my parents) could ask the college to reconsider considering my situation? I find it genuinely unfair that I miss out on 25% of my grade, and therefore potentially ruining the plans I had for my future because of something outside of my control.

I feel like the college could see it this way too, but only if they are in charge of the decision, and not required to turn you down no matter what.

What do you think?

It is up to the school/college to decide their entry requirements for specific courses. If it turns out your English grade does not meet their requirements they would have the flexibility to accept you anyway if they thought you could excel on the course. If you can point to good results in other essay based subjects that would probably boost you chances of persuading them. It will be worth trying.
Hi, there. I'm from Wales as well and my percentage for both presentations was 20%, not a quarter. Are you on CBAC?

Secondly, which A-Levels were you thinking of taking? If they include English Language, I would rethink your application, as English Language is one of the most notorious qualifications for being deceptively difficult. English Lit is supposed to be just outright difficult. However, if I were you (I'm extremely stubborn), I'd go for it since I'd work nonstop. I've just finished my own GCSEs, so I understand the problems. I'm (hopefully) taking English Lang and Lit separately for AS.

Love from Swansea (Good Luck for Results Day btw!!!!) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest