The Student Room Group

My face burns and itches from anything

I can't put anything on my face - no oils, moisturizers, or anything. It starts itching immediately and leaves me red. I didn't have this problem until I moved to the UK. My skin used to be even, but now it's filled with hyperpigmentation and has made me 2x darker. (I'm not saying dark skin is bad, it's just patchy and makes me look gray.) Someone, help!
If it helps I don't have acne..
Reply 1
The two obvious solutions seem to be either to not put anything on your face or to move away from the UK
Have you spoken with your GP about it...?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Have you spoken with your GP about it...?
the doctor just took a look at it and told I need moisturiser , I use it 3 times a day and my skin is NOT dry , he didn't even look at it properly
Original post by Anonymous #1
the doctor just took a look at it and told I need moisturiser , I use it 3 times a day and my skin is NOT dry , he didn't even look at it properly
How long ago did you arrive in the UK? Maybe its the type of water that your skin isn't used to? Visit a dermatologist if u can. Is it like Rosacea?
Ideally, you shoudln't be putting moisturizer on 3 times a day, it should just be day and night. Plus just because you don't have dry skin, doesn't mean you don't need a moisturizer.
Reply 5
I can't put anything on my face - no oils, moisturizers, or anything. It starts itching immediately and leaves me red. I didn't have this problem until I moved to the UK. My skin used to be even, but now it's filled with hyperpigmentation and has made me 2x darker. (I'm not saying dark skin is bad, it's just patchy and makes me look gray.) Someone, help!
that happened to a friend of mine.... turned out it was herpes
Reply 6
Original post by JoeMama111
that happened to a friend of mine.... turned out it was herpes
I don't have a std cause I am a minor..
Original post by Anonymous

Well if after a couple weeks it doesn't clear up, go back and say "I did this for x amount of time like you recommended and it's not improved". They can then reassess :smile:

I don't have a std cause I am a minor..

The herpes virus is not just transmitted through sex, and is also the cause of e.g. cold sores. There was a case a few years back of a woman with a cold sore who kissed her new born baby on the forehead and passed it on that way.
Reply 8
Well if after a couple weeks it doesn't clear up, go back and say "I did this for x amount of time like you recommended and it's not improved". They can then reassess :smile:

The herpes virus is not just transmitted through sex, and is also the cause of e.g. cold sores. There was a case a few years back of a woman with a cold sore who kissed her new born baby on the forehead and passed it on that way.
its not acne , the actual product don't itch my face , its the feeling of it being there on my face and I feel to itch it ..
its not acne , the actual product don't itch my face , its the feeling of it being there on my face and I feel to itch it ..

I'm not sure what the relevance of this is to what I said. Follow the guidance of the GP for a couple of weeks and when/if it doesn't improve, go back. Because then they will consider "well that didn't work, let me think of another possible cause and way to treat that".

Why are people on this website so resolutely against just following the standard process of seeing a GP for anything?
Reply 10
I'm not sure what the relevance of this is to what I said. Follow the guidance of the GP for a couple of weeks and when/if it doesn't improve, go back. Because then they will consider "well that didn't work, let me think of another possible cause and way to treat that".

Why are people on this website so resolutely against just following the standard process of seeing a GP for anything?
i have been to a gp appointment but not solely for this cause it does affect the way i look , it just itches and it just fades away in an hour. Thanks and i know internet is not the answer but thought some people would have an idea of it..
Reply 11
Original post by cherrycosmos
How long ago did you arrive in the UK? Maybe its the type of water that your skin isn't used to? Visit a dermatologist if u can. Is it like Rosacea?
Ideally, you shoudln't be putting moisturizer on 3 times a day, it should just be day and night. Plus just because you don't have dry skin, doesn't mean you don't need a moisturizer.
thank you!!!
only been 2 years - its the chlorine water most probably - I HATE IT
i have been to a gp appointment but not solely for this cause it does affect the way i look , it just itches and it just fades away in an hour. Thanks and i know internet is not the answer but thought some people would have an idea of it..

Which is why I said, go back after a couple of weeks of following the guidance and explain it didn't make a difference. Then they will reassess the clinical evidence and consider alternative diagnoses and treatments.

There is a next stage of visiting the GP which is "if first time doesn't work go back and tell them this and they can factor that into their diagnosis". I don't know how to make this any more obvious.
Reply 13
Which is why I said, go back after a couple of weeks of following the guidance and explain it didn't make a difference. Then they will reassess the clinical evidence and consider alternative diagnoses and treatments.

There is a next stage of visiting the GP which is "if first time doesn't work go back and tell them this and they can factor that into their diagnosis". I don't know how to make this any more obvious.
dude I get it -
you don't have to say the same thing again ..Thanks :smile:
thank you!!!
only been 2 years - its the chlorine water most probably - I HATE IT
yeah idk it may not be the main problem because your skin should be getting better after 2 years but there have been many countries i've visited and the water has affected me somehow. I would still look into it tho :smile:

Transition to babies/children/other not previously infected people through kissing this is very common (and in the case of babies in particular, can make them very unwell - can cause viral meningitis or encephalitis)
(edited 2 months ago)
Changes in climate, water, air quality and other environmental factors can affect your skin. If you experience skin problems after moving, it may be due to adapting to the new environment.
If you have skin problems, it is best to consult a dermatologist. He or she will be able to analyse your skin condition and provide personalised recommendations.
The water or air in your new place of residence may have irritating components. Avoid using harsh detergents and check if the products you use are causing problems.
Use hypoallergenic skin care products without unnecessary additives and fragrances.
Use products with a high SPF to protect your skin from the sun's rays, which will help prevent further worsening of hyperpigmentation.
Drink enough water and consume nutritious foods. This can also have a positive effect on your skin.

Quick Reply

Latest