The Student Room Group

How to stop being such a messy person?

Everywhere I go I just leave a trail of mess and I don’t know why. My room is a battleground 99% of the time, instead of putting things back I just chuck them on the ground, I dump all my dirty clothes on the floor and I leave all my makeup out and I don’t put the lids back on anything. I leave all my rubbish everywhere and I spill things all the time and it’s just foul. I’ve always been like it (I’m nearly 17), it’s just a bad habit that I don’t know how to get out of. It’s very irritating because the mess builds up so fast and then I have to spend like 90mins every other day cleaning up. I know I need to make a conscious effort to control myself but I can never remember to do this. I’ve tried making signs and sticking them round my room (e.g put clothes in basket) but quickly I get used to them being there so they just blend in with the mess and I ignore them. I really need to get this habit under control as it’s irritating and embarrassing and quite frankly sometimes even unhygienic. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? Thank you

(Also just to clarify I definitely have no underlying issues such as mental health conditions that make this hard for me, it’s purely just bad habit)
I think you're doing well as long as you do regularly clean up your room, it's expected that mess would build up as more time passes. A good way to help work out of this habit is to deal with the mess as soon as it's created, for example, putting a lid back on something as soon as you've used it, or putting away clothes as soon as you've taken them off. Honestly I do the same thing, but I try keep my mess in control by having specific parts of my room that I put them away to, like I always put clothes in a specific corner of my room (maybe it would be good to have a laundry basket) and always put jewellery by the box they go into so that it's easier when I properly clean my room later. Overall, the best way to get over bad habits is to practice your way out of them.
Original post by Anonymous
Everywhere I go I just leave a trail of mess and I don’t know why. My room is a battleground 99% of the time, instead of putting things back I just chuck them on the ground, I dump all my dirty clothes on the floor and I leave all my makeup out and I don’t put the lids back on anything. I leave all my rubbish everywhere and I spill things all the time and it’s just foul. I’ve always been like it (I’m nearly 17), it’s just a bad habit that I don’t know how to get out of. It’s very irritating because the mess builds up so fast and then I have to spend like 90mins every other day cleaning up. I know I need to make a conscious effort to control myself but I can never remember to do this. I’ve tried making signs and sticking them round my room (e.g put clothes in basket) but quickly I get used to them being there so they just blend in with the mess and I ignore them. I really need to get this habit under control as it’s irritating and embarrassing and quite frankly sometimes even unhygienic. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? Thank you

(Also just to clarify I definitely have no underlying issues such as mental health conditions that make this hard for me, it’s purely just bad habit)

tackle each aspect one by one, i'd personally recommend the leaving rubbish lying around (im assuming scrunched up papers and food wrapper?)- chuck these in the bin as soon as possible. either get a bin in your room or hallway outside your room or keep a bag easily accessible to you in the room to throw away on a weekly basis.

or smthign id much rather recommend is not eating/ bringing food to ur room. but with drinks KEEP THEM IN A RESUABLE BOTTLE, that you can screw on or maybe one fo those lidded cups with just a straw sticking out

have your makeup in a open box/ tray, when you do your makeup take the entire box out use one put it back in another, back in...

now with clothes you could leave a laundry basket in ur room maybe or have those back door hanger things

hope this helps:smile:
Reply 3
This is a very difficult thing to crack. I once worked with a chef who taught me that only way to a clean and orderly kitchen is zero tolerance to not putting things away immediately and to having anything in a mess. It you establish this discipline and feel the considerable benefits it can becomes a self sustaining habit. The other option is to accept imperfection, try and make the mess a bit of a creative art rather than awful and then relax
Already some good tips above. I used to really struggle with this, but I found that having a big declutter really helped as a starting point, since it meant less stuff to tidy and made it easy to have a designated home for everything.

Then I started making cleaning a game: every time I thought about the mess, I had to set a 5 minute timer and see how much I could clean in that time. Now I do it by counting instead (like having to put away 5/10 items before I can carry on with what I was doing) because setting the timer generally took me long enough to get distracted and forget to tidy :colondollar: It makes it a "fun" challenge and is a lot less overwhelming than a big one-off clean. Of course, these rely on you actually spotting/thinking about the mess, and being diligent with forcing yourself to spend those few minutes every time you do, but it makes things more manageable once you get in the habit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending