The Student Room Group

ACCOMMODATION uni

I’m applying to uni and I’m just concerned about the uni accom fees as for the sake of my mental health I really need to move out from this toxic environment that I’m constantly being sucked into at home but the fees are so high and I’m aware that I may be paid more due to my parents earring so low but from what I’ve seen is that people still struggle to make it worse co side ring other bills such as groceries / laundry etc . I really don’t know what to do and was wondering if it’s worth moving out in second year to a uni accom . But don’t know how likely it is for that to happen .
Original post by high-fiber-organ
I’m applying to uni and I’m just concerned about the uni accom fees as for the sake of my mental health I really need to move out from this toxic environment that I’m constantly being sucked into at home but the fees are so high and I’m aware that I may be paid more due to my parents earring so low but from what I’ve seen is that people still struggle to make it worse co side ring other bills such as groceries / laundry etc . I really don’t know what to do and was wondering if it’s worth moving out in second year to a uni accom . But don’t know how likely it is for that to happen .

You imply that you have the option of living at home whilst at uni. Is that right?

Many students do struggle financially. Many will also take part-time jobs, either within the university itself or within the nearby town, in order to top-up the loan they receive from student finance. (I've emphasised the word "loan" as you've said "I’m aware that I may be paid more", and wanted to ensure you understood that it was a loan.)

If you end up really struggling financially, most universities have a student hardship fund (or similar) which may be able to help out.

As for your "moving out in second year to a uni accom" plan, note that most unis only offer accomodation to their first year students, with very few places available (if any) for those in other years. So do check before assuming that this approach will work.
Original post by high-fiber-organ

Hi!

I would suggest having a go at creating a budget to see if it is possible for you to move out. The student finance website has a calculator which can give you an indication of what your maintenance loan will be. Look up the cost of accommodation for the unis you are considering and then estimate a budget for food etc. There will be example ones online to help you see how much students typically spend on food shops and laundry etc. It may also be worth checking with the universities you are applying to to see if you qualify for any bursaries or scholarships. Once you've done this you will have an idea of what you can afford and if moving out is possible. Hopefully this will also help put your mind at ease as you will have a clearer idea of your situation and have plenty of time to make any decisions.

I hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending